- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Cake Ideas - How to make a Michael Jackson themed cake.
Michael Jackson Cake
This guide will help you make a great Michael Jackson cake for all occasions! Whether it be a birthday cake, anniversary cake, or simply a cake for anyone who loves Michael Jackson, this guide will give you ideas and tips to show off your cake-making skills!
Ingredients and what you will need:
- 2 cakes (I made a 24cm x 30cm and a 16cm x 16cm)
- Butter Icing (I used 250g unsalted butter, 500g icing sugar and a little milk)
- 2.5kg White Regalice Icing (available at supermarkets or cake supplies shop)
- 2 x 250g or small packets of red and black sugarpaste (available at supermarkets or cake supplies shop)
- Edible silver paint or edible glitter
- Tube of red writing icing
- Small edible silver balls
- A Michael Jackson (mine was from ebay)
- Cupcake toppers (again from ebay)
- Some red stars (bought or made)
- Cake board
- Several images from the internet (for making sugarpaste decorations)
How to make the cake:
- Firstly I baked 2 Madeira cakes using this recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/madeiracake_73878
- I used the standard recipe for the small cake and multiplied the recipe by 3 for the large cake.
- When the cakes were cold I sliced the dome off each of them using a large knife and was left with 2 flat topped cakes.
- I then sliced each one in half and filled with butter icing and jam.
- I gave each cake a crumb coat (thin covering of butter icing) and left to harden.
- About 2 hours later I covered them in clingfilm and left overnight.
How to cover the cake with icing:
- The next morning I found some pictures on the internet and printed them off, to use as templates for my sugarpaste decorations.
- I rolled out ready made regalice icing to about the thickness of a £1 coin.
- After the cakes were covered I put one on top of the other.
Below is a really helpful link on the technique to cover a square cake with the icing:
This is how I cover a square cake with sugarpaste/fondant. Use this as a guide to help get the smooth finish you see on all of my work. :o)
How to decorate the cake:
- Then I made all the sugarpaste decorations.
- A good tip is to do this on baking or grease-proof paper so you can get them off easily!