- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to make chicken lollipops in 9 easy steps
When I first saw chicken lollipops, I thought they were called chicken drumsticks (I was too young to know the difference) because I thought that's the part used in making them. But when I first got a taste of these chicken lollies, I thought they should be called HEAVEN. LOL Kidding aside, chicken lollipops are nice appetizers at parties, especially if it's not a sit down event. You can eat it while sitting, standing, dancing, you name it. It's easy to eat and easy to make. Read on for more. :)
Ingredients for chicken lollipops
- chicken wings
- all purpose flour
- black pepper, ground
- canola oil, for deep frying
- Chop off the tips of the wings. The tip is tiniest part of the wing.
- Massage the wing to dislocate the joint of the wing to fore-wing.
- Once the bones have been conveniently dislocated, slice the wings through the dislocated joint using a knife. Be careful not to actually cut the bones. The look better without injuries. :P
- For the top part of the wing, the one with one big bone, slice the meat around the part near the dislocated joint. Expose the bone and hold on to it then carefully push your hand down on the meat while still gripping to the bone. The meat must now gather near the bottom. Try to do this as carefully as possible so as not to sever the meat.
- For the fore-wing (this has two little bones), remove one bone by also cutting through the end near the dislocated joint and pushing the meat down. You can remove the bone when the meat is near the bottom already.
- For the breading mix, put the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Put some milk and eggs and two separate bowls.
- Heat oil in a pan. Make sure the oil is enough for deep frying.
- Dip the chicken lollipops in the milk then eggs then the flour mixture. Deep fry until golden brown.
- Serve with the gravy. :)
Ingredients for gravy
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, mix flour and chicken stock. Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Add the milk and let it boil again.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it boil til thick.
- Set aside and serve with the chicken lollipops.
Chicken lollipops are fairly easy to make and it's also cheap finger food for parties because instead of serving one wing per person, it's suddenly 1-2 lollipops per person! The gravy is something I made from scratch but ready to make gravy mixes are already available in the market. There are also breading mixes to further lessen the hassle.
Do you have easy to prepare finger food recipes to share? I'd love to hear about them. Hit me up on the comments section below.