How to make an easy Traditional Cottage Pie with Cheesy Mash
A good traditional Cottage Pie or Shepard's Pie is the perfect dish for a hearty family meal. It is cheap to make, simple to cook, pretty good nutrition wise and all the family will love it.
Rate this recipe
- 1 large pack Beef Mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 tin peas
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 small jar tomato based sauce
- 1Kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200g cheddar, grated
- 1 clove/1tsp lasy Garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a little oil in a pan, add the mince and diced onion and cook for 10-15minutes until browned on a medium heat
- Add the garlic and stir in, heating for a further 3 minutes
- Add the carrots, peas, tomatoes and tomato sauce and cover. Leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat is simmering, place the potatoes in water to boil.
- Once the potatoes have softened - should take 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and mash with a nob of butter and a splash of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste if you want
- Place the meat mixture in the bottom or a large casserole dish and top with the creamy mash. Place in the over on 180 for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven top with grated cheese and return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with salad or other veg and enjoy!
You can give this recipe an extra bit of a kick with a dash of red wine if you want, and a dollop of mustard in the mash could change the taste too!