- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make pumpkin soup - a simple recipe
What better way to make use of your halloween pumpkin than to make a wholesome, tasty and warming pumpkin soup to keep out the autumn chills. Save the flesh that you have scooped out of your pumpkin, leaving out the seeds, skin and stringy bits and chop into small pieces to use in this soup. You don't even have to wait til Halloween if you don't want to - this soup is great any time.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb pumpkin, fresh pumpkin is best, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 2 fluid oz double cream
- a small amount of nutmeg and seasoning, according to taste
- 2 teaspoonfuls butter, for sauteeing the onion
- Melt the the butter in a large saucepan, add the chopped onion and saute over a low heat until tender.
- Add the chopped pumpkin to the pan along with the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then simmer until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from the heat to allow the soup to cool down a little, then add 2 teaspoons nutmeg, salt & pepper according to taste and blend in a food processor until smooth.
- When ready to serve reheat the soup without boiling, then remove from heat and add the cream. Sprinkle with a little ground nutmeg and serve with fresh crusty bread.
Using the whole pumpkin ...
- How to Use the Whole Pumpkin at Halloween
Pumpkins are not only for decoration at Halloween, they are a tasty and nutritious vegetable with many uses. Learn how to make the most of your pumpkin, with ideas for using every part of it from the seeds to the shell.