How to make the perfect vanilla meringue pie with decadent key lime
Meringue lifts up during the baking process
Key Lime Pie, creamy filling and fluffy meringue topping
This pie will surely delight your friends and families at the next summer get-together. Quick and easy meringue pie with a short baking time. Who said meringue was too difficult to create at home?
I always add extra key lime juice for extra decadent flavor!
Ingredients for filling and meringue
- 1 Bag Key Limes (for 4 ounces juice), cut in half for juicing
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 ounces
- 4 egg yolks, save the whites
- 1 graham cracker crust, pre-made
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, not imitation
Substitute Splenda to reduce calories, but retain sweetness.
Graham cracker crust
You can buy a pre-made crust at the store and pour your filling directly in to it. Bake it in the oven-proof tray it comes in.
If you would like to make your own crust, here is a simple recipe:
- mix 1 1/2 cups crumbled graham crackers,
- 1/2 cup sugar, and
- 1/2 stick melted butter.
Fill the bottom of a 9" pie pan with graham cracker mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 2 minutes until brown.
Add filling and follow directions to finish baking the pie.
The egg whites brown during the baking process
- Squeeze key lime halves in a garlic or lemon press to get 4 ounces of juice
- In a mixing bowl, stir together key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, butter, and sugar.
- Pour mixture in to pre-made graham cracker crust.
- To make the meringue, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Whip until stiff.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- When blended, spread on pie.