- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
How to prepare Tomato ketchup
How to make tomato ketchup at home
Tomatoes are available throughout the year and they are known for their antioxidant properties. There are several varieties of tomatoes available in the market. Even in shapes they differ. Some are very small, some oval in shape and mostly round in shape. They can be easily cultivated at home. When they are available plenty tomatoes can be preserved in various methods, and one of them is making ketch up. The ketchup can be kept for longer time.
Tomato Ketchup preparation
Method of juice preparation:
Good deep red variety of tomatoes to be selected. Wash well, and remove the stem.
Cut into small pieces and crush with a wooden laddle.
Cook for about 5-10 minutes. By then the pulp will be separated from the peel.
Strain the pulp and remove the seeds and peels. Measure the juice.
Tomato Ketchup Recipe
Items required for preparing Tomato Ketchup
- Tomato juice - 1 lt.
- Sugar - 100 gms
- Chopped onions - 50 gms.
- Chopped garlics - 10 gms.
- Garam masala powder - 5 gms.
- (Cumin seeds, nutmeg, Cardamom, Cinnamon and Cloves on equal quantity, powder coarsely)
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Vinegar - 60 ml
- Salt - 2 tsp.
- Sodium Benzoate (for preservation) - one pinch
Where to buy Tomato Ketchup online?
- Tie the spice powder in a muslin cloth as a bag and add it into the juice.
- Add 1/3rd of the sugar to the juice and concentrate till the juice is reduced to 1/3rd of its original portion.
- Remove the spice bag and squeeze it well and extract as much as possible.
- Add the remaining sugar, and cook till the juice is once again thick.
- Add salt and vinegar, and boil till the desired consistency is obtained.
- Add sodium benzoate and mix well. (This is added for preservation. For immediate use this need not be added).
- Now it is ready to pour into the dry sterilized bottles by placing over a wooden table.
- Wait for it to cool to room temperature and tightly close the bottles.