- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Delicious Low Calorie BBQ Chicken
The Problem with Most BBQ Recipes
The main problem with most BBQ chicken recipes is this - most of them are not all that healthy. Let's face it, most of them are not healthy at all. They are high in just about everything that is bad for you if you eat too much of it, including fat, calories, and sugar.
So what is a health conscious person to do? Not eat BBQ? That seems like a lot to ask of anyone. After all, BBQ chicken is a favorite dish in many households because it takes that same boring old piece of chicken and turns into something scrumptious. I know I get tired of eating plain old chicken breast all the time.
Here is a wonderfully healthy alternative to traditional chicken BBQ recipes. My grandmother actually came up with this recipe. She started trying to cook with less sugar long before it was popular because my mother was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes in the early 1960s.
This recipe uses Splenda, which is a great alternative to sugar because it is actually made from sugar. It cooks up very well and tastes great with no weird aftertaste, which you can't say about a lot of the other artificial sweeteners, like Equal or Sweet 'N Low.
I fell in love with this recipe the first time I tasted it, and I hope you enjoy it, too.
Here's What You Need
- 1 1-lb chicken breast, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Pam cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 8-ounce can Hunt's tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Splenda granulated
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 6 small hamburger buns
Practically the only saucepan you will ever need. This pot heats evenly and lasts forever. It is non-stick and stays looking like new with very little work. It is a must-have!
Here's What You Do to Shred the Chicken
The first thing you need to do, if you have a chicken like the one in the picture above is to kill it and pluck it and some other things with which I am not at all familiar.
For the rest of us who just get our chicken from the grocery store in a nice neat package, this is where you'll start:
- Fill a 2-quart saucepan half-full with water.
- Put the pot on the stove on low heat.
- Put the chicken breast in the pan.
- Add the pinch of salt and teaspoon of garlic powder to the water.
- Cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Take the pot off the burner and let it cool.
- Remove the chicken from the water and use your fingers to shred it.
Some Nutritional Information
This recipe makes six servings.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Calories (per serving): 192
Total Fat (grams per serving): 5
Total Carbohydrate (grams per serving): 21
After the Chicken Is Shredded
- Spray a large skillet with Pam.
- Brown the onion and green pepper over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, Splenda, black pepper, and mustard to the skillet.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the skillet and heat thoroughly to desired temperature.
- Put the hamburger buns on a large serving tray and split them.
- Spoon the shredded chicken mixture evenly onto the bun bottoms.
- Put the tops back on the buns and serve.
Watching Your Weight Doesn't Have to Be Hard
This is the perfect recipe for anyone who is keeping a close eye on their diet or anyone who just wants to eat a little healthier. It is low in fat, low in calories, and low in carbs, compared to most other BBQ chicken recipes.
So the next time you want to have friends over for a barbecue, surprise them with this tasty recipe. I bet they won't even miss all the bad stuff!