- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Impress Your Loved Ones with a Seafood Dinner
I am not afraid to admit that i am a great and creative cook. I love cooking for my loved ones and, since my wife is a pescetarian (look it up!) I have learned to cook more with fish and other non-red meat type products to great success. Last night I whipped up a great seafood dinner and I'd like to share with you the recipe. It's very important that you prepare the food in the order I have it written here if you want it all to be ready at the same time! Let me know how your efforts turn out!
Before you do anything, make sure your salmon and scallops are thoroughly thawed, but keep them refrigerated until use. Now, preheat your oven to "bake" at 375 degrees and then read on. Pictures forthcoming.
Mango Salsa Ingredients
One large mango
1/2 red onion
sea or kosher salt
1/2 red bell pepper
1/4 garlic clove
First, the Mango salsa
1. dice your large mango into cubes. If you'd like to puree it, you can as well.
2. place the cubes in a large bowl
3. puree together: 1/2 red onion, jalapeno (I don't like mine super hot so I only use 1/4 of it, but you can do as much or as little as you'd like, depending on how much heat you'd like), 1/2 red bell pepper, 3 mint leaves (no stems)
4. Combine these ingredients with the mango. Add a pinch of salt, squeeze the agave bottle into the bowl for five to ten seconds in a circular motion and squeeze in all the lime juice you can.
5. Mix thoroughly and then refrigerate, uncovered
Baked Salmon Ingredients
1 pound fresh wild caught salmon
mango/lime seafood seasoning
Now the Salmon
1. line an oven safe baking dish with a thin layer of olive oil.
2. Place the salmon into the pan, being sure to keep the skin on.
3. One by one, cover the salmon with a think layer of all the seasonings.
4. Slice a lemon into 4-5 circles, place these atop the salmon, being careful not to squeeze any juices.
5. Place in middle rack of oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (or until salmon is flaky)
Cheezy Potato soup ingredients
2 small (10 3/4 oz) cans of cheddar cheese soup
four ounces of pepper jack cheese
1/4 white onion
fresh basil leaves
fresh oregano leaves
1-2 heads of brocolli
three large red potatoes
1. Cube three red potatoes and allow to boil in a sauce pan for 10 minutes
2. Heat a deep pan to low heat, 3-5 on most stoves. Make sure soup does not boil
3. Empty two cans of cheddar soup into pan
4. Cube 4 oz. of pepper jack cheese and add to pan
5. Add one can full each of milk, water and soy milk. You may add more or less as soup cooks based on desired consistency.
6. Add in chopped broccoli.
7. Puree white onion, a few basil leaves, some thyme, a few oregano leaves.
8. Combine this with soup.
9. Drain potatoes and add to soup. Stir thoroughly. Cover, stirring occasionally, being sure not to let the soup boil.
Pan Fried scallops ingredients
Four large fresh scalllops
1/4 large white onion
Let's fry some scallops
Scallops cook quickly so prepare everything else first before started to fry the scallops.
1. Heat sauce pan to medium high heat. Cover bottom of pan with olive oil.
2. Take two shots of rum, drink one and add the other shot to the pan and mix with oil.
3. puree a few basil leaves, a few oregano leaves, 3-4 chives, 3-4 mint leaves, and white onion.
4. Combine in pan and stir.
5. In a plastic bag, add 3-4 tablespoons of flour, and combine it with all the powdery seasonings listed on ingredients.
6. Completely dry scallops and then add them to plastic bag and mix thoroughly shake and bake style (important note: Doing this yesterday, I failed to completely seal the bag and I had quite a mess on my hands. Do not make this same mistake).
7. Remove scallops from bag and make sure they are completely cover in mixture.
8. Check that the oil is sizzling, if it is, carefully place the scallops in the pan and drip mixture from pan over them.
9. Cover and fry for 2-3 minutes (depending on texture. If the scallops are fresh, you can eat them raw so cooking time is entirely dependent on the texture you want for your scallops.)
10. Turn scallops, drip mixture over them again and fry on this side for another 2-3 minutes.
11. Remove from pan and place into bowl. Pour contents of pan into the bowl over the scallops and garnish with fresh parsley
1. Take salmon out of oven and cover it generously with mango salsa. You should have excess salsa, which is good because it is quite tasty with tortilla chips.
2. Move soup from burner and serve.
4. Have on cooker clean up,but, to make their job easier, clean as you go.
all rights reserved. Copyright Justin W. Price, October 2011