Indian Dessert Recipe: How to make Badam Kheer
Badam kheer is a milk based dessert where ground almonds are cooked in milk and sugar and flavoured with saffron and cardamom powder. Its not-so-creamy texture, mild nutty flavor of almonds, aromatic rich flavor of saffron and cardamom make it a delicious sweet drink after a dinner party or a spicy meal.
- Almonds- 25
- Milk- 1 litre
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Sugar- 1/2 cup (or as per your taste)
- cardamom (green)- 1/2 teaspoon
- Saffron- 10-15 saffron strands soaked in warm milk
- Ghee- 5 teaspoon
- Pistachio- 15
1. Soak badam (almonds) for 6-8 hours.
2. Take out the outer, brown skin.
3. Make a paste of almonds.
4. Take milk and water in a thick bottom vessel.
5. Bring it to boil.
6. Take another thick bottom vessel and put ghee in it.
7. Fry the badam paste lightly. It should not turn to brown color.
8. After a little cooling, pour the boiling milk, add sugar and stir it nicely.
9. Add cardamom powder and stir it for another 6-8 minutes.
10. Allow it to cool.
11. After cooling, decorate with saffron and finely chopped pistachios.
12. Serve chilled.
* Badam kheer can be made it to a drinking consistency by boiling the milk to 3/4th of its original quantity.
* The sugar quantity can be adjusted to your choice.
* It can be served warm.
* Almonds are highly nutritious and are essential nuts for growing children and also give a glow to our skin.