- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodles Recipe (Mie Goreng)
Mie goreng - Stir-fried noodle with chicken, vegetables and coated with sweet savory sauce, or known as Indonesian style of chow mein or stir-fried noodles. Just like all the variants of noodles in Indonesia, mie goreng is a dish that influenced by Chinese immigrants.
This noodle dish is eaten at any times in a day. It's available during breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack between meals. It can be eaten with rice or as stand alone dish.
Unlike Chinese stir-fried noodles, mie goreng usually consist of meat, yellow noodles, vegetables, fried egg or omelette, dried shrimp and special seasoning of "kecap manis" (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). This is a unique noodle stir-fry with distinct flavors. It's sweet, savory, warm and comforting.
Mie goreng is available to buy from street vendors, small restaurants and canteen to high end restaurants. Indonesian love to serve it on daily home cooking menu or on special important celebration or occasion such as birthday and wedding party.
Here is how to make Indonesian mie goreng with sweet soy sauce. It's easy and very delicious. Serve it hot or warm with "acar" (vegetable pickles), kerupuk (crackers) and hot chili sauce.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 4
8 oz chow mein noodles (Chinese noodles)
5 oz boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced
2 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup carrot, julienned
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked in hot water, drained
3 small Asian shallot
2 cloves garlic
fried shallot flakes
How to Fix
- To prepare the sauce: in a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, white pepper, salt and sweet soy sauce (kecap manis). Stir to mix.
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling water for about 3 minutes or until al dente. Then drain. Transfer the noodle into a mixing bowl. The pour in the sauce mixture. Toss well to coat the noodles with sauce.
- Use food processor to grind the dried shrimp, shallot and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, swirl 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in. Lower the heat to medium-high. Spread the chicken out in one layer. Cook undisturbed for about 1 minute or until it begins to sear. Then use spatula to flip the meat. Cook for more 1 minute or until the chicken pieces have turned light brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining cooking oil and spice paste over high heat. Stir-fry for about 40 seconds or until fragrant. Then add cabbage and carrot. Stir-fry for 1 - 2 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Then add the noodles and chicken. Stir to combine.
- Continue to stir-fry until the noodles are heated through and the chicken are done. Last, add spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Transfer to serving dish and serve hot.
- Sprinkle on fried shallot flakes and garnish with sliced cucumber.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Indonesian Pangsit Goreng - Fried Wonton Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Fried Wonton!
An easy and tasty Indonesian finger food or appetizer recipe.
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
How to make avocado juice.
- Quick and Easy Indonesian Tumis Kangkung - Morning Glory Stir Fried Recipe
How to fix kangkung (morning glory) with oyster sauce.
This is simple appetizer recipe: corn fritter with hot spicy dipping sauce.
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
Easy and dairy free ice cream recipe
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
A quick and easy banana dessert recipe !
- Indonesian Deep Fried Stuffed Tofu Recipe (Tahu Isi)