- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Irresistible Turkey Fried Rice - Made with Cauliflower "Rice"
Turkey Fried Rice
I made chicken fried rice once before using cauliflower "rice". My husband absolutely loved it and he does not like veggies very much. Last week we had turkey (it was Thanksgiving, after all) and I had lots of leftovers. I decided to make turkey fried "rice" with some of the extra turkey. It turned out totally amazing and we finished it off right away the other night. I found out that cauliflower is a big cancer fighter recently (especially prostate cancer) and I really want to get more of it into our diet. This seems like a sure-fire way to succeed in that mission.
It takes about 20 minutes to roast cauliflower rice ahead of time. I lightly spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spread the cauliflower out in a single layer to cook. It only takes a little olive oil, salt and pepper to flavor the cauliflower amazingly. Before, I used to chop up the cauliflower by hand, but I now have an efficient food processor that does the job very quickly. It is easy to throw this dish together once the cauliflower is riced and roasted. Chop your veggies, place them in the skillet and cook slightly. Then add the turkey (or chicken), scrambled egg and "rice" and you are done. If you try this recipe out, let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I do!
- 1 cup turkey, pre-cooked and diced
- 1 cup cauliflower rice, pre-roasted in the oven
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- dash sea salt, freshly ground
- dash black pepper, freshly ground
- 4-5 baby carrots, thinly sliced or chopped
- 4-5 green onions, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg, scrambled
- Prepare your oven roasted cauliflower "rice" before you begin dinner. Now that I own a food processor, making the cauliflower into rice is much quicker and easier than by hand. It only takes a minute to rice the cauliflower then about 20 minutes to roast it on a cookie sheet in the oven. This is additional to the cook time I have listed above. I just put a little olive oil, salt and pepper on the cauliflower to roast it, turning it once in the middle of cooking so it does not burn. I'm adding a link to my hub on "ricing" cauliflower later in this hub.
- Chop your veggies the way you like them. I thinly sliced baby carrots so they would cook fairly quickly (you could also grate the carrots). Wash the green onions and peel off the outer layer of onion. Then chop or slice the green onions into small pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil to medium heat in a skillet on the stove top. I use cast iron skillets for almost all of my cooking and just love them. Once the oil is heated, add the chopped, diced or sliced veggies. Let them cook until the onion gets a little translucent. Then add your diced turkey.
- Place egg in a small bowl and scramble it up. Push ingredients to one side of the skillet and add the scrambled egg to the other side to cook, stirring the egg constantly. Mix all ingredients together in the skillet.
- Finally, add the "riced" cauliflower to the skillet and soy sauce. Heat all the ingredients through and serve. Enjoy some awesome fried rice!
- How to Make Oven-Roasted Cauliflower "Rice"
This is a very easy recipe that shows how to roast cauliflower in the oven for use in dishes instead of rice or as a side dish. I am trying to reset my metabolism by utilizing the Whole30 and paleo diets' rules. In the Whole30 diet, grains are elimin