Island Bites: Homemade Mexican Tostadas (Plus Chunky Guacamole and Refried Beans Recipes)
What is a tostada?
Tostada is the Spanish word for "toast/ toasted". In Latin America it is also the name for different dishes which are toasted or use a toasted ingredient as the main base of the recipe. The mexican tostada is a mexican version of an open sandwich. It has a layered "salad" on top of a flat crispy corn tortilla. Typically, the tortilla is deep-fried, although some low-calorie versions of tostadas call for toasted baked tortillas. Guacamole, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese are some of the popular toppings for tostadas. Pork, beef or chicken is also added. Vegetarian tostadas are also popular.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup mexican salsa
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese, or crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- 1 cup refried beans, (recipe follows)
- 1 cup guacamole, (recipe follows)
- 2 cups taco meat, (recipe follows)
- shredded letuce
- diced tomatoes
- mexican crema or sour cream
- vegetable or canola oil
- Do not overload the tostadas.
- Pick a tostada with both hands and eat it like a pizza slice.
- You can buy toasted tortillas/ tostadas.
Instructions to Make Tostadas
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil into a heavy skillet. Medium-High heat.
- One at a time, fry the tortillas until golden brown on both sides, cooking about 15 to 30 seconds to a minute per side.
- Let the tostadas cool in a rack or paper towel-lined plate. (To keep them warm, transfer the tostadas into a baking sheet and place in a 250F oven.)
- To serve, spread some refried beans in each tostada. Add a layer of cooked taco meat. Then, and some salsa.
- Top with guacamole, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. Sprinkle on some cheese and a dollop of cream.
Quick & Easy Taco Meat
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbs garlic paste or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs oil
Instructions for Taco Meat
- Heat oil in a pan. Brown the ground meat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onions to the meat and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add the salt, spices, tomato puree and garlic.
- Let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked and tender.
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 lime
- 2 tbs cilantro, chopped
- 1 raw jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- salt & pepper
- In a bowl, add the avocados, onion and tomatoes. Mash with a potato masher, until smooth but still chunky.
- Add lime juice, jalapeño, cilantro, salt and pepper. Gently mix to combine.
Homemade Refried Beans
1 can pinto beans
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup chicken broth, plus more if needed
2 tbs oil
salt & pepper
Instructions for the Refried Beans
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté onion for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add beans and chicken broth. Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mash the beans until they are a coarse puree. Add more broth if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 IslandBites