Island Bites: Papas Salteadas Con Tocineta (Sweet and Sour Warm Potato & Bacon Salad)
This recipe is a warm and delicious spin on traditional potato salad. It is smoky and slightly sweet and tangy! It is perfect to pair with your favorite meat.
Also, add a poached or sunny-side up egg and it would make a great breakfast!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, diced
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tbs sugar
- salt & pepper
- parsley, chopped
- a pinch of cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- For more flavor, you could boil the potatoes in chicken or vegetable broth.
- If you want a different texture, you could roast the potatoes instead of boiling them.
- Add potatoes to a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and let them cool.
- Cook bacon in a large pan over medium heat. Remove from pan when crispy and reserve.
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic and dried herbs to the pan and saute in bacon grease at medium heat until caramelized.
- Mix sugar, vinegar and broth. Add that mix to the potatoes. Let it reduce for a couple minutes. Sprinkle some salt, pepper and cayenne. Combine.Turn up the heat and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add parsley and bacon. Serve warm.