- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Italian Style Chickenloaf
You Want the Meat - Not the Bread
For the last few weeks, I've been doing the South Beach Diet.
Those of you who have done this diet know that while it's not that restrictive in the second phase, the thing you want to avoid is high sugar meals. The chief source of this is bread made with white enriched flour - or white bread. There are plenty of alternatives to white bread, but the South Beach Diet would have you avoid most of it completely.
So, what are you to do? Well, there are breadcrumbs that are gluten free and are made with other types of non sugar enriched flour. I think that the SBD has it's own brand - the big thing is to find some without white flour or use a substitute that will make a great bonding agent with filler.
Of course, if you're not doing the SBD, feel free to use whatever breadcrumbs you prefer.
This dish is made mostly with chicken and some good Italian cheeses - which the SBD has no real problems with. Part skim mozzarella is actually encouraged. Adding an onion to this adds the necessary fiber and taste we enjoy. This meal goes well with anything you would have Italian food with as well as it being a good chicken dish.
Like all meatloaf dishes, the secret is in the bonding process. It's a good idea to let the dish cool down slightly before eating.
- 2 lbs Organic Chicken, Ground
- 1 cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Garlic, Crushed
- 6 oz can Tomato Paste
- 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Red Onion, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 1/4 cup Provolone Cheese, Grated
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 2 Eggs
- Combine chicken, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, tomato paste, onions, Parmesan and Provolone into a large bowl and mix thoroughly with a large wooden spoon.
- Bake in a deep pan at 350 degrees in a pre-heated oven for one hour. At the half hour mark, remove from oven and pour tomato sauce on top of chicken loaf and use a liberal amount of the mozzarella cheese on the top and let it melt and bake on.
- Put chicken loaf back in the oven and continue to bake to finish the hour.
- When the hour is done, remove from oven and let cool for ten minutes.