Jarvis Java Portal - A Java Porter Recipe for the Ingress Nerd in All of Us
Original Specific Gravity: 1.054
Final Specific Gravity: 1.022
Alcohol by Volume: 4.2%
Rule number one: make certain all of your equipment is clean (I recommend One-Step or similar cleaner) and sanitized (I recommend Five Star) prior to beginning this process. The longest part of beer brewing is the preparation, the clean up, and the wait. But I can not stress enough the importance of sanitation in home brewing!
NOTE: The following recipe is written with the assumption that you already have the necessary equipment and have a basic knowledge of beer brewing.
- 4 oz 120L Caramel, milled
- 1.25 lb Chocolate Malt, milled
- 4 oz Debittered Black Malt, Milled
- 7 lb Dark LME
- 0.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops, Pellets
- 1 oz Northern Brewer Hops, Pellets
- 0.5 oz Brewer's Gold Hops, Pellets
- 1 TBS Irish Moss
- 2 oz Coffee Grounds, Dark Roast
- 2 tsp Cinnamon, Ground
- 0.75 oz Chocoloate, 80% Cacao
- 5 oz Corn Sugar
- 1 pkg WyYeast or White Labs, Scottish Ale
- Place milled grains in grain bag and into 1½ gallons of filtered water. Heat to 150ºF – 160ºF for 30 minutes. Remove grains and sparge with approximately 2 quarts of heated filtered water. Allow grains to fully drain into the wort.
- Bring to rolling boil. Add LME to boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning/scorching. Once all LME is properly dissolved, add 0.5oz Brewer's Gold hops. Stir vigorously. Allow to boil for 40 minutes.
- Add 1oz Northern Brewer hops. Stir vigorously. Allow to boil for 5 minutes. Add Irish Moss. Allow to boil for 10 minutes. Add 0.5oz Northern Brewer Hops. Stir vigorously. Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Cool wort to approximately 75ºF. Add water to bring total volume to 5 gallons.
- Pitch the yeast and transfer to carboy (preferably glass – preferably 6 gallon+ to reduce blow off).
- After 4 days to 1 week (when activity ceases), transfer to 5 gallon carboy using siphon and add coffee, cinnamon, and chocolate. Allow to sit one additional week.
- Transfer to priming bucket, add sugar dissolved in about 2 cups warm, filtered water. Bottle and allow to sit for 2 weeks.
|Serving size: 12oz|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|