- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Kale - What do I do with all of this Kale - Here's an idea for a great Soup
Quick and Easy Kale Lentil Soup
Kale is healthy vegetable and is available in curly, ornamental or dinosaur variety.
Consuming kale on a regular basis provides health benefits including cancer protection and lowering cholesterol. This recipe is a delicious way to reap the benefits of these leafy green vegetables.
5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirements of calcium and vitamin B6, 40% magnesium, 180% vitamin A, 200% vitamin C, and 1,020 % of vitamin K. It is a good source of minerals, copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.
Vitamin K is necessary for a variety of bodily functions, including blood clotting and bone health. The caveat is for those individuals who take medications to treat diseases that require a restricted K intake. Those individuals should consult with their physician regarding kale in their diet.
When I make this, I usually will freeze a number of servings in small plastic soup containers and eat them later. They make a great, healthy lunch serving for home or at work. Just put it in the microwave (frozen) for about 3 to 4 minutes and your ready for lunch.
- Your choice between 8-12 ounces Turkey Kielbasa, slices into small pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crush small
- 1 tbs spoon Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken stock/broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 2 cups Kale, chop into pieces
- 1 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- In a medium to large pan over medium heat add the 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir in the chopped turkey Kielbasa sausage and heat until meat begins to stick to the pan.
- Remove meat from pan with a slotted spoon.
- If needed add more olive oil, add onions and garlic and stir until softened.
- Add lentils, turkey Kielbasa, chicken stock, and water to the onion and garlic mixture. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or until the lentils soften.
- Add the chopped kale and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Before serving add good quality balsamic vinegar and serve. The balsamic vinegar makes this soup delicious. The lentils in this recipe add a good source of vegetable protein to this soup. This recipe makes 10 one cup servings.