Kefir Cupcakes with Blueberry Mascarpone Frosting
About 12 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup kefir
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 ounces Mascarpone
- 4 tablespoons blueberry fruit purée
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 12 blueberries, fresh
- With rack in middle, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan(s) with baking cups. In large mixer bowl with flat beater attachment or large mixing bowl with whisk, combine butter until creamy. Add xylitol, mixing until combined.
- Mix in two large egg yolks and vanilla. In medium sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder & baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the kefir in two parts, mixing until smooth. In medium sized mixing bowl, beat two large egg whites and cream of tarter until stiff.
- Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the batter, then the remainder. Using a large cookie dough scoop or 1/3 cup, distribute batter evenly amongst the 12 lined muffin cups. Bake 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan(s) and cool completely on wire rack.
- In large mixer bowl with flat beater attachment or large mixing bowl with whisk, mix Mascarpone, fruit purée & agave until combined. Frost cupcakes & place blueberry in center of each.
© 2015 Molly Brose