Kid Friendly Roasted Butternut Squash With Brown Sugar Sprinkles
Butternut squash is a natural for kids. First off, it's orange, a real crowd-pleaser and a natural for "orange" food nights. Roasted, it becomes soft, slightly sweet, and delicious!
Butternut Squash Health Benefits
Butternut squash is naturally low in fat, high in fiber, potassium, and vitamin, and is packed with antioxidants. It also contains vitamin B6 (good for the immune system) and lots of folate (heart healthy). Like carrots, butternut squash is has high levels of beta-carotene (good for the eyes).
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 2 pounds
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the squash in half, spoon out the seeds, peel it, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, tossing occasionally, until the squash is tender and starts to turn golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Take out of oven and pour into a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and serve! Better yet, let your kids sprinkle on the brown sugar.
Butternut Squash Nutrition Data
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Related Kid-Friendly Vegetable Hubs
- Brussels Sprouts for Kids: No, Really!
Brussels sprouts may not be the first vegetable you think of when you think about “kid-friendly” veggies. But, these extremely health-packed “little lettuce heads” can be delicious, especially when cooked with raisins! This article describes the heal
- Kid-Friendly Roasted Cauliflower
Cauliflower is highly nutritiously while being low fat and low calorie. Cooked the right way, even kids will gobble up this healthy vegetable. This article describes the health benefits of cauliflower and then gives a simple recipe for roasted caulif
- Kid Friendly Steamed Broccoli
Broccoli done right can be healthy and delicious. My kids loves these
Related Food for Kids Hubs
- Getting Your Kids to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables:...
We all know that eating fruits and vegetables has many health benefits. This article provides practical tips for parents on getting kids to eat fruit and vegetables. Having fruits and vegetables readily accessible, have
- How to Convert a Picky Eater: Lessons Learned and Ti...
Many children are picky eaters and parents struggle with how to get them to be more flexible at mealtime. This article describes how one mom conquered picky eating and now cooks one meal for the entire family. While it may seem scary initially, by ma
- Kids’ Pancakes With Chia Seed “Sprinkles” and ...
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but too often is lacking in nutrition. This easy homemade pancake recipe add chia seeds, which are packed with nutrients. This article also gives ideas for other healthy additions.
- 10-Minute Prep Kid-Friendly Lasagna
Making lasagna can be quick and easy, as well as healthy. This recipe describes how to make a basic lasagna and shows ways to add or substitute healthy ingredients in a way that result in a healthy and delicious meal that will be enjoyed by the whole
- Eating Out with Kids: Benefits and Tips
Eating out in restaurants with kids can help your kids try new foods, train them in proper restaurant behavior, and provides a much needed break from the kitchen. This article includes tips for making eating out successful, including picking the righ