ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Kitchen Tools and Utensils: Get the Right One For the Job!

Updated on February 6, 2018
DzyMsLizzy profile image

Vegetarian recipes, healthy foods, kitchen tips and shortcuts interest Liz, but she also likes desserts!

How Hard Should It Be?

Recently, I went shopping for a new spatula. It should not have been that difficult.

It was.

Virtually no one knew what I was talking about. They either looked at me as if I had two heads and was speaking an alien tongue, or proudly showed me exactly the wrong thing.

It was a serious exercise in frustration, and I don't know how many gallons of gas I wasted, driving from store to store in the hopes of finding a simple kitchen tool.

When Is a Spatula Not a Spatula?

People these days have gotten sloppy about what they call things. They think, "It's not important; it doesn't matter." Ah, but it does matter. If you ask me for a hammer and I hand you a screwdriver, claiming you can use its handle the same way, that doesn't miraculously transform it into the correct tool for the job.

Just as in the workshop, the right tool for the job is important in the kitchen as well. Just because one thing might serve the function of another, there is a reason the specific tool was created: it makes the task easier and more efficient to perform.

Here, then, are the tools I was shown or offered in my search for a spatula, their definitions and descriptions.

Flipper, Turner, Pancake Turner, etc

All various names for a wide-short-bladed tool with a bend at the business end of its handle; commonly used for sliding under cooking food and flipping it to the other side to finish cooking. It can be used on everything from eggs to burgers. Can be either metal, or some type of plastic for use on non-stick cookware.

The steeply-angled ones are great for flipping burgers or fried eggs; the more shallow angle works well for turning fries over on a cookie sheet.

Many Names For This Tool

Click thumbnail to view full-size

Cake and Pie Servers

Various types of wedge-shaped, dull-bladed utensils for sliding underneath prepared food to lift it onto serving plates. Usually used on pies, brownies, cakes and other desserts. They sometimes have a serrated edge for cutting the food; most do not.

For Pie, Cake, Brownies, Cookies

I do not have a plastic type. The two I've pictured above are for pie, cake, cookies, and brownies.

The wedge-shaped one is good for round cakes, pies, and can be used on square cake slices, although the squared-off style is less precarious for lifting square slices, and is perfect for brownies.

Scraper or Bowl Scraper

Soft rubber or plastic flexible tool for getting that last bit of cake batter out of the mixing bowl, or scraping down the sides of the bowl during mixing.

They can also be used for getting that last bit out of a jar or serving dish. These come in various lengths, widths and configurations, and many are a 'dished' shape so they can spoon the food into the next container.


Click thumbnail to view full-size
Assorted sizes and types of scrapersScrapers are made of plastic or rubber, and are very flexible
Assorted sizes and types of scrapers
Assorted sizes and types of scrapers
Scrapers are made of plastic or rubber, and are very flexible
Scrapers are made of plastic or rubber, and are very flexible


Ah--the tool I so unsuccessfully sought. This is a flat-bladed metal tool, about 10 inches long with the blade portion being the majority of the tool. It is about an inch wide, and is used for spreading condiments onto sandwich bread, or frosting onto cakes.

The reason this is the "proper tool for the job" is the combined length of the handle and blade. Did you ever try to get to the bottom of a mayo jar with a table knife? Right--you end up with the spread all over your hand.

A scraper can be used, but most are not much longer than a standard table knife, so you have the same problem. Also, they are somewhat 'dished' instead of flat, and do not do a very good job of transferring the condiment evenly to the bread.

The Elusive Metal Spatula!

Click thumbnail to view full-size
All photos by author
All photos by author
All photos by author

Now What?

Alas, the plain and simple spatula was nowhere to be had. Not in the grocery store kitchen gadgets aisle; not at the home-goods store; not at the hardware store; not at the department store; not at the library.. oh, nevermind--that was a different search!

I've looked high and low, and this tool seems to have evaporated from the marketplace! I have a 'sort of ' new one bought about 4 years ago (shown in the photos)---but a second one would be nice to have as a backup, or if two cooks are working.

I have an antique one, but I don't like using it anymore, as the blade is all rusted, stained and cruddy looking. The search goes on....


Ah, one of my dear daughters found the correct tool, and gifted me a pair of them! Bless her ever-lovin' heart!

© 2011 Liz Elias


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)