Lemon Cupcakes With Lemon Frosting
What do you think of these cupcakes?
One of my favourite flavours is lemon. I love the sharp, tangy bite, especially when it's combined with a smooth, creamy texture. These cupcakes are one of my go-to items whenever I get that craving for a burst of bright, fruity flavour that puts me in a summery mood, no matter what time of year it is.
These particular cupcakes which have a little lemon added, are filled with a lemon sauce and topped off with a lemon buttercream frosting. I suppose you could call them triple lemon cupcakes.
I like to sprinkle a little sweetened coconut over the top for some added texture, but you don't have to do this if you prefer not to.
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups self-rise flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
To make the cupcakes
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 C / 350 F. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until they are well combined and you have a fluffy consistency.
- With your mixer on at slow speed, add the eggs, one at a time. Make sure the first egg is thoroughly beaten into the mixture before adding the next.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and add to the mixture. Mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Now add in the lemon juice. Don't worry if your batter looks a little funny - it will come right as you mix it.
- Once everything is mixed together well and you have a smooth, creamy batter, spoon into the cupcake cases. Try to get equal amounts of batter into each case - an ice-cream scoop is a handy tool for this.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Check the cupcakes are ready by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cakes. If the skewer comes out clean, the cakes are ready. If it doesn't come out clean, pop the cakes back into the oven for an additional five minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a spoon to scoop out a little hole in the centre of each. Fill the hole with lemon curd. Don't worry if the top looks a little messy - you'll be icing over this.
- Ice the cupcakes with lemon buttercream (recipe below) and serve., If you like, you can sprinkle a little sweetened coconut over the top.
To Make Lemon Buttercream Frosting
You will need:
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 1/2 cups icing (powdered) sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Simply place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together until everything is thoroughly combined. Pipe straight onto the cakes, or refrigerate until you need the icing. If, when you take the buttercream out of the refrigerator, it seems a little thick, add a teaspoon of cold water and mix thoroughly.
To Make A Simple Lemon Filling
You can, of course, save time by using a store-bought lemon curd or lemon sauce to fill the cupcakes, but it's really simple to make a great filling for your cupcakes.
You'll need: 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbsp unsalted butter, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tsp lemon zest. Put the egg yolks, sugar, butter, lemon juice and zest into a pan over a medium heat and whisk rapidly - you don't want the eggs to scramble. Continue to whisk until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, use it to fill the cupcakes.
Dress Up Your Cupcakes
There are lots of ways to make cupcakes look even more appealing. Why nit bake the cupcakes in pretty, decorated cases or you can use cake wrappers to add a special touch before serving? Cupcake wrappers are available in thousands of different designs, so choose something that suits the occasion.