Homemade Virgin Mojito Recipe
Mojito is a traditional Cuban cocktail. Traditionally, mojito is prepared with five ingredients - white rum, sugarcane juice, lime juice, soda water and mint. The flavors of citrus, lime or lemon, and mint along with the sweetness complementing the rum, made it a very popular summer drink.
This recipe is of a mojito mocktail prepared by replacing sugarcane juice with sugar, lime with lemon and the rum with sprite. But even without the rum, this classic drink is full of flavor and absolutely refreshing. Yes, you can replace sprite with club soda/sparkling soda water if you wish too. In this case, double the sugar.
Muddling is the essence of this drink and it has to be done firmly yet gently taking care to just bruise the mint leaves by twisting the muddler so they just release their essential oils. I have used fresh mint leaves from my kitchen garden.
In case you do not have a muddler, and most of us will not, unless one is a bartender, you can use the end of a rolling pin or the flat end of a large wooden spoon as we have done in this recipe.
Use a tall or large, sturdy glass, as the mojito is a drink that has to have lots of ice and liquid to keep it chilled and it is intended to be savored in sips being a summer cooler.
Both lemon and mint are excellent body coolers for summer besides offering many health benefits. Here are some important health benefits of lemons.
Do try making this lemon mojito mocktail and leave your feedback in the comments.
- crushed ice
- chilled sprite
- 30-35 pudina/fresh mint leaves, washed
- 2 lemons, deseeded and chopped into 8 pieces each
- 1 lemon, for its juice
- 2 tsp ground sugar
- To a large glass add the lemon pieces, mint leaves and powdered sugar
- With a muddler or the flat end of a large wooden spoon muddle/lightly twist the mint leaves and lemon
- Add the lemon juice and give a stir
- Add crushed ice and sprite. Give a stir and top up with more sprite if required
- Garnish with a sprig of mint, push in a straw and serve
Homemade Virgin Lemon Mojito Recipe
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly