- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pork Recipes
Lemon Pork Chops with Roast Vegetables
- 4 pork chops
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- small handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt and black pepper
- 1lb potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 courgette (zucchini), thickly sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Add the juice and zest of lemon, crushed garlic, chopped mint leaves and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a bowl. Mix well and add seasoning.
- Place the pork chops into the bowl and spoon the lemony marinade over them. Cover bowl in cling-film and place in fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and have a well-deserved break.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/395°F/gas mark 6. Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to an ovenproof dish, and place the pork chops on top. Use a plastic spoon to remove all the marinade from the first bowl to add to the chops. Roast for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove from oven and add in the sliced potatoes and courgette, the chopped red pepper and the honey. Reduce oven heat and roast for a further 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Turn them frequently and baste them in the oil to make sure they get a good covering of the flavours from the meat juices and the marinade.
- Remove from oven and serve with a wedge of lemon to garnish.
My review of the pork chops with roasted vegetable recipe
I wasn't sure how many mint leaves were in a 'small handful', as the recipe I found in "Easy Cooking' magazine suggested.
My hands are small. Does that mean it should be even less, or should my small hand be full of leaves?
When I added all the marinade ingredients in together, I found the mixture to be more or less solid.
Perhaps I used too many mint leaves, else didn't squeeze all the juice out of the lemon.
No matter, it still served its purpose even though it was no longer as liquid as I expected it to be.
I don't like undercooked vegetables.
While some cookery experts use words like 'crunchy' or 'crisp' to describe the perfect texture of cooked veggies, I prefer to use the words 'hard' and undercooked'.
Longer cooking gives time for different flavors to join together to create new ones, as well.
I changed the recipe I found, where it suggested the pork should be grilled for 4 - 5 mins each side, and the vegetables should get a total of 15 minutes in a hot oven.
I turned the oven down a little a roasted it all for longer, as above.
I also only cooked 2 pork chops, as I was only feeding two people, but kept the vegetables at their suggested quantities, if only because half of anything left over in my house tends to go off before it can get used.
To be honest, my enthusiasm for this recipe was waning by the time it was ready. I wondered had I made a mistake? How could mint go with pork? Mint and lamb, yes, but pork?
An Amazing Meal
What can I say, this meal was stunning.
The lemon was strong enough to drown out the mint and other flavors, yet mild enough to make each mouthful taste Heavenly.
Of course, the other flavors of the mint and pepper and garlic were still there, just subtly changed.
I am so glad I made too many vegetables as what was left in the pan got nibbled over the course of the evening. Even cold, they were so delicious.
This is one meal I will be making for my family again and again.
Nutritional Value of Lemon Pork Chops with Roast Vegetables
What is a Courgette?
Some vegetables have different names the world over, and the courgette is one of them.
It is a summer squash that is harvested before it has reached full size. In the UK, it is then known as a marrow.
In the US, Australia, Germany and Scandinavia it is known by its Italian name - zucchini, while in the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and South Africa it is known by the French name of courgette.
It can be confusing to have more than one name in the English speaking world for the same foodstuff.
Courgette or zucchini are fruits, although they are treated as vegetables.
- Honey Mustard Pork Chops Recipe - Delicious, Quick and Easy
Honey mustard pork chops are easy to prepare and taste simply wonderful. Spice up your pork chops with something different and enjoy the zingy flavors that will bring new life to old and tired recipes