- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Lemongrass Chicken Recipe
What is Lemongrass?
Lemongrass or cymbopogon, a tall perennial grass, is a herb that is native to India and tropical Asia. Because of its citrus flavor it is used in teas. You will also find it used in curries and soups. When added to meats, fish and seafood it adds delicious flavoring.
I was in Walmart the other day and found this great product by Gourmet Garden called Lemon Grass Paste. For years I've been trying to simulate a dish I'd had at a Chinese restaurant called Lemongrass Chicken.
Dinner is Served!
Lemongrass Chicken Ingredients
For this recipe I used:
- 5 boneless chicken breasts sliced (equaling just under 3 pounds)
- 2 - 3 tbs. of canola oil
- 2 shallots sliced
- 3 tbs. of Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Paste
- 4 scallions (green onions/spring onions) chopped
- In a wok, electric frying pan, or a large skillet heat your oil.
- Add the sliced chicken, stirring frequently until the chicken is almost cooked and slightly pink.
- Add the sliced shallots and lemongrass paste. Continue stirring and cooking for ten minutes.
- Add the chopped scallions and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
Step by Step Photo Instructions for Lemongrass Chicken
If you like this recipe please rate it.
A Few Benefits from Using Lemongrass
Lemongrass is not only used as a herb but medicinally as well. There are many health benefits one can reap from lemongrass.
When you have a sore throat, cough, or cold, lemongrass tea may give you some relief.
For a restful sleep or to help with insomnia, try having a cup of lemongrass tea before bed.
Lemongrass tea is known to flush toxins from the body.
Lemongrass oil can be used to help acne, and is a great facial toner.
Add the oil to your bath for soothing muscle aches.
Vitamins and Minerals in Lemongrass
Veggie Stir Fry
To serve along with the Lemongrass Chicken I made a fast veggie stir fry.
- 1 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 sweet onion sliced thick
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- fresh broccoli cut into florets
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- bean sprouts
Let's Wok!Click thumbnail to view full-size
Veggie Stir Fry Instructions
- In a wok heat the olive oil and add the chopped celery to the wok stir frying for 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced onion and continue to stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add the chicken broth and broccoli cooking for 4 minutes. You can cover to speed up the cooking time at this point.
- Add the garlic and toss everything together.
- Add the green pepper and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked the way you like it add the bean sprouts, toss and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve and ENJOY!