- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Light and Refreshing Jell-O Cake
This may not be the first time you heard of this cake, but I love it and love to make it so I had to add it to my hub recipes. I used raspberry flavor Jell-O because my husband like red Jell-O, but you can use any flavor you like.
I have made this cake for Christmas where I made one layer with red Jell-O and one layer with green Jell-O. I also crushed a couple of candy canes and sprinkled it all over the Cool Whip topping. It looks and tastes so pretty. I don't have a picture of that one though.
I also make it for the 4th of July every year. I use 2 cake mixes and use a large rectangular cake pan and put some red jelly in some of the holes and blue in some of them and decorate the cake to look like the flag with strawberries and blueberries. I'm told it's awesome. When I make that cake again I will post it too.
Changes for Cake
- For less sugar use sugar free Jell-O. I used it several times and it's still good.
- For less fat use fat free Cool Whip Topping or the store brand is good too.
- You can use any flavor of Jell-O you like or even combine them in one cake or different layers if you make it in two layers.
Photos of Light and Refreshing Jell-O Cake
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 box red Jell-O, or any flavor
- 1 container Cool Whip
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your cake pan(s).
- Prepare cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box. Cool outside of the pans and then clean the pans and put the cake layers back in the pans. (If you are using a rectangular pan, you could skip this step, just let it cool.
- Poke hole is the cakes with a large 2 prong fork. Make the holes large enough to spoon the Jell-O in the holes.
- For the Jell-O, use a medium bowl and pour in 1 cup of boiling water and stir till the Jell-O is dissolved. Do not add the cold water.
- Spoon slowly the Jell-O in the holes of the cake and use as much of it as you can. Cover the cakes in the pans and refrigerate for several hours till the Jell-O is set.
- To take the cakes out of the pan, fill the sink with hot water just to the middle of the cake pans and let the cake pans sit in the water for about 20 seconds. The cake should come right out of the pans when inverted.
- Decorate and frost with the Cool Whip as shown in the pictures. This cake has to be refrigerated till ready to eat and refrigerate left overs.