Lockdown Salads- the Ultimate Spinach Walnut Delite
If you are looking for an almost fat free salad that tastes creamy and smooth and yet gives you enough fibre and nutrients, then the spinach walnut delite would be your choice. Once you have assembled all the ingredients together then tossing the salad ingredients together and then adding the salad dressing requires almost no effort or time. The spinach could be fresh spinach that is finely diced or cooked but finely diced, either ways it tastes equally good..
This salad covers all the basic food groups and is really a meal by itself. But if you have a larger appetite you can compliment it with soup and toast. You could stuff the salad in a pita bread and that would work just as fine.
The walnut bits that are added to the salad must be pre-soaked the night before. Soaking the nuts gets rid of the toxins in the nuts as well as gives them the right amount of crunch to blend in with the salad. Walnuts are a rich source of omega-3 fats and are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. The spinach has insoluble fiber that is good for digestion. The arils of pomegranate are free radical scavengers.
The tender taste of yogurt with pink himalayan salt, fresh roasted cumin and fresh ground pepper bring out the best in the salad making it a gastronomical delight. You can add a little sugar if you like the sweetish taste in your yogurt dressing. The combination of vegetables, fruit and nuts is another watermark of the Levantine cuisine.
This recipe was shared by Shekhar Sawant who is a retired banker and has travelled to over 50 countries as part of his profession. An enthusiastic foodie he finds cooking relaxing and energizing.
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach leaves, fresh without stalks
- half cup walnut bits presoaked in water the previous night, fresh walnuts can be used too
- half cup arils of pomegranate, preferably red
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 tsp dry roasted ground cumin, coarsely ground
- 11/2 cup curd(yogurt)
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels, well cooked tender
- 1/4 cup finely diced white onion, optional
- as per taste pink himalayan salt, normal table salt works too!