- Food and Cooking
Louise's "Slap Your Mama It's So Good" Cornbread
I love cornbread. I have always loved cornbread. As a child, we had it as a side dish all the time, especially when dad went rabbit hunting. Mom made it in a round cake pan and I always used to eat it with grape jelly. Now I love to eat it with chili and BBQ, honey or jelly. It is just plain and simple, a fantastic side dish.
I have always used the Jiffy box mix cornbread and never made it from scratch before. When my friend Louise posted that she was making some homemade cornbread so good "you'd wanna slap your mama", I knew I had to get her recipe and try it! I must completely agree with her name. It is so good, I slapped myself, since my mama is not right here with me! It was even better on the second day and I asked her if I could write a hub about it. She gave me her blessing so here it is!
It only takes 8 ingredients to make this recipe. That may sound intimidating but really is not much when two of the ingredients are salt and baking soda. The butter and eggs give this recipe a rich, almost cake-like texture. I honestly am not sure if I will ever buy the Jiffy box mix again, this is that much better. I will definitely pair it with my Chocoholic Chili the next time I make that. I think that will be rather soon, since it's finally getting cold. I also recommend you use local honey to pair with this, as you will see the most allergy benefits from local bees. Louise told me she has used the cornbread with sandwiches, too, which I have never tried before. I am also going to experiment with adding jalepenos to the batter to make a spicy cornbread for BBQ. The possibilities are really endless. Enjoy!
- 2/3 Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar, white granulated
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 Cup milk
- 2 1/3 Cup flour, mine is unbleached, all-purpose
- 1 Cup cornmeal
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Soften the butter to room temp on the counter. I had mine sitting out for about 2 hours before I made the cornbread. It was still a little on the hard side, so I did use the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it a little more. You need to cream the butter and sugar together, so do not completely melt it.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place softened butter into a mixing bowl and cream together with the sugar. I used my KichenAid stand mixer and I love it! It makes baking so much easier than it used to be for me.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Then add the milk and blend well on low to medium speed.
- Add the flour slowly, so it does not get everywhere. I actually have a splash guard on my blender that I make use of all the time. Then add the cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Blend well.
- Grease a 9 x 13" pan well with non-stick spray, I use a Pyrex dish myself. I debated on greasing the dish with butter, but thought better of it since there is already so much in the recipe.
- Pour the batter into the preheated oven and bake for 22-27 minutes. Serve as a side dish with BBQ, chili, or on it's own as a dessert with honey, jelly or jam. I also like to eat it for breakfast.
Have you ever made homemade cornbread?
- Chocoholic Chili - My New Go-to Recipe!
This is, quite honestly, the best chili I have ever made. It is southwestern style chili that has cocoa powder in it and black beans. It is so easy and tasty, you will not soon forget the savory taste it leaves in your mouth. I am actually wanting a