Louisiana Red Beans With Rice Recipe
Red Beans Served Over White Rice
Louisiana Red Beans And Rice
In New Orleans it is a Monday luncheon favorite. Not only in restaurants but at home as well , usually made from a leftover ham bone or ham shank. Not only is it easy to prepare it is also delicious. It is a staple throughout the south. Louisiana Red Beans And Rice can be served as a side dish or as a main dish. I usually have them as a main dish, however , with that said I absolutely love them as a side dish when I make Louisiana Spiced Fried Chicken.
Every time we have a ham, I save the bone to use in this recipe. I cut the bone away from the ham, wrapping it well with plastic wrap. I then place the wrapped bone in a freezer bag and freeze until ready to use.
Louisiana Red Beans are delicious poured over hot white rice. I make my rice in a automatic rice maker, but it will be just as good in what ever manner you usually use to make white rice.
Red bean are high in starch, protein and dietary fiber and is an excellent source of iron, potassium, selenium, molybdenum, thiamine, vitamin B6, and folic acid.
Be sure to check out the companion recipe Louisiana Spiced Fried Chicken
Hey Yall!! Here is one of my favorite dishes to prepare. It is creole comfort food at its finest. I hope yall give it a try to let me know what yall think.
- 2 tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Tabasco Sauce
- 1 Bell Pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 pound Dried Red Beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1/2 pound Smoked Sausage, cut into cubes
- 1 Ham Bone
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Sage
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Cups Rice, cooked
Louisiana Red Beans
- Cover the beans with water and soak them overnight
- Add 1 tablespoon of the Tabasco sauce, bell pepper, smoked sausage, the ham bone, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, black pepper, sage, and bay leaf to the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Adding more water if necessary.
- Remove and discard ham bone and the bay leaf. Remove about 1/4 cup of the beans from the pot and mash into a paste, and then add the mashed mixture back into the pot.
- Add the cayenne and the remainder of the Tabasco sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
Digital Rice Maker
Slow Cooker Revolution
The Slow Cooker Revolution
The Slow cooker Revolution is a whole new way of using your Slow Cooker or Crock Pot.
It is a new way of cooking slow cooker meals but without the slow cooker taste.
It is full of full color photos.
How to tips.
Recipes for Main dishes, side dishes, Breakfast, Desserts and much more
A companion For Your Red Beans And Rice
- Louisiana Spiced Fried Chicken Recipe
Spicy Fried Chicken with a bite. Some do like it hot, if that is you, and you love fried chicken , then this Louisiana Spiced Fried Chicken is right up your alley...