- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Low Carb Zucchini Turkey Lasagna in Slow Cooker
Let Everyone Know What You Think!
Do You have to Give Up Lasagna to be Healthy?
Many believe it is impossible to be healthy and still enjoy high-fat enjoyable meals such as fresh lasagna. I have even been accused of lying when I said I was able to enjoy a generous serving of lasagna for dinner, and still stay on plan. I promise it is not only possible but still full of the flavor which can win over even the biggest critics! The meal allows you to sneak in a variety of veggies, while also creating the perfect flavor of lasagna. The only difference, there are no noodles in this recipe. By removing and replacing the noodles, you now have a low carb, yet filling lasagna for your family and no longer have to "sacrifice" this favorite for your health! The downside, you have to hide the smile you want to shine when you watch even young kids diving into a dish full of vegetables!
To top this off, I am going to reveal a little secret to providing a side for your lasagna that will load in a healthy dose of cauliflower your family will love. They will never realize that you have piled on the veggies, but think that you are making a special treat! It is one of the reasons I have to keep everyone out of the kitchen when I cook. If my picky eaters ever realized the amount of vegetables I hide in the food they enjoy so much, they would disown me. I often hide the smile as my husband reminds me that he doesn't get it. We have a ton of flavorful meals that are not too different from what we have always had, and I have gone from a size 18 to a 12 and still slimming! Plus, I am treating my gene mutation, so a win-win situation for me!
Even better, this wonderful lasagna is prepared in a slow cooker and does not require you stand over it constantly watching, nor does it come from a box in the freezer section! You know every ingredient in it and you are sure that what you are placing on the table is healthy!
Easy, Yet Flavorful Slow Cooker Lasagana
Why Not Replace Garlic Bread with Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks?
- 1 large head of cauliflower, steamed and riced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tsp. Minced garlic
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c. shredded Mexican Cheese
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan
- 1 Tsp. Italian seasoning
- Dash of Mineral Salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 3 Tsp. Fresh parsley, diced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare two pizza pans.
- Microwave the riced cauliflower for 10 minutes, let cool and drain excess water.
- Mix the cauliflower with 2 c. Mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Separate the mixture into two halves and press into a rectangular shape.
- Bake the crust for 30 minutes, or until it is a pretty golden brown.
- Once golden, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the parsley.
- Place back into the oven until the cheese melts.
- Time to slice and serve!
Never Have to Share the Ingredients!
So, Time to Move Ahead!
Now you have the perfect cheese breadstick to compliment your amazing lasagna! The cheese breadsticks take around 15-20 minutes to prepare. I only share because this is my chosen side dish when I cook lasagna. One, I obviously love adding the veggies, but two sometimes the enjoyment of bread needs to have suggestions to keep you on track!
Plus, your family will think they are receiving a special treat! How can you beat this? Your family have even more veggies and love them!
- 3 large zucchini, end removed and thinly sliced length wise
- 2 lbs. ground turkey, browned and drained
- 2 c. pasta sauce, Sugar free (we can our own)
- 1 med. red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 c. shredded Mozzarella
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese, I use part-skin
- 1/2 c. parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, dried or fresh, personal choice
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tsp. black pepper
- Create the cheese filling by blending 1 c. Mozzarella, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, and black pepper.
- Spray a 6 qt. slow cooker with olive oil and then place a thin layer of pizza sauce along the bottom (around 1/2 c.), and it is time to begin your layers.
- Place a thin layer of zuchinni noodles on top of the sauce (do not have to worry if they overlap), then a rounded half a cup of cheese filling, the meat, a touch of onions and bell pepper, and then another then drizzle of pizza sauce across the top.
- Repeat these layers until you have only enough zuchinni for the top layer (close to the fourth layer in my slow cooker).
- Before putting the final layer of zuchinni on the top, add the remaining meat sauce and cheese mixture and then top with the final layer of zuchinni.
- Time to hide that last layer of zuchinni and the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese (the one not placed in the "cheese sauce."
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (some slow cookers may take less time, but this is perfect for my dish)
- Turn off your slow cooker (I cut mine to warm) for 30 more minutes to allow it to "set." Finally, it is time to serve!
One of the Reasons This Works So Well
So, You Have a Tasty and Healthy Meal
So, you prepare the lasagna and the cheese sticks, do you need to add anything else? It is not necessary because many times, this meal is very satisfying with no room for anything further, but for me, I prefer to add a side salad with my meal. I am big on having a ton of green leafy veggies, even if there are already a lot of other veggies in the food. I leave the side salad a little "lacking" for this meal though so I can enjoy it. I love a nice, zesty cucumber salad because I think it adds the perfect compliment!
Plus, as you are about to see, it is straightforward and quick!
I blend 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar, 1/2 tbsp. Olive oil, and 1/32 tsp. of stevia. Then I peel and thinly slice 1 cucumber and a Roma tomato, with half of a white onion. Then I blend the oil mixture, a 1/2 tsp. of dill, a touch of salt and pepper with the cucumbers and tomatoes and let it marinate for 15 minutes. This can be increased to create a larger portion, but while I can sneak veggies into a lot of recipes, this is one dish my family will never touch.
If for some reason I feel the need to have a dessert, I may create some low carb, chocolate chip cookie dough brownies or some "fudgy no-bake" cookies but it is not necessary. It does help work well though when you have had one of those days where a craving for chocolate has to be satisfied though! I will include the recipe links I follow without faltering at the end so you can get an idea of how simple they are as well!
As I mentioned, I eat well, but still have managed to lose a ton of weight, even with meals like this! In fact, I was so happy this past weekend because, a few weeks ago I noticed some of my favorite t-shirts (2XL) were turning into nightgowns, and when we went to visit some family, I decided actually to try on a new shirt I had purchased. It was a size 12 and fit (maybe even a little loose)! So who would not be excited to enjoy meals like this and still be losing weight! It is why I say, find a plan that is a lifestyle change, not just a fad diet! Plus, I have been able to stay on track with little worry or effort, while also adhering to the needs necessary to be successful with my focus on treating a gene mutation!
I hope you and your family can enjoy this beautiful meal as much as my family does! We love it. In fact, that is what I have prepared in the freezer to toss in my slow cooker in the morning! Cannot wait to enjoy this tomorrow night!
Check Out the Awesome Cookie Recipe!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies - Joy Filled Eats
Love, love these wonderful Chocolate Chip Cookie
© 2017 Kristie Gentry