Luscious Carrot Cake
- 2 cups flour, Self rising
- 1 1/2 teaspooons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, watkins saigon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-can 8 0z. crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups organic coconut
- 2 cups walnuts
- In a medium size bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. In your mixing bowl whisk together the oil, sugar and eggs. Beat for 1 minute on low speed. Add pineapple, carrots, 1-cup of coconut and nuts and beat for 2 minutes. Add the flour mixture to your wet ingredients. Pour into a greased 13X9x2 or bundt cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
Cream Cheese Icing
4 oz. cream cheese
1 Tablespoon milk
1/4 cup butter
3 cups confectionary sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Cream together the cream cheese with the butter. Slowly add the confectionary sugar. milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Frost the cooled Carrot cake.
Optional: You can choose many ways to decorate your cake, with many variations. Here are a few suggestions below.
- Toast 1 cup of coconut and allow to cool. After you have frosted the cake, place toasted coconut on top of the cake and layer the edges.
- Chop 2 cups walnuts, or pecans work great with this recipe as well. You can substitute with any of your favorite nuts though. Place on top of the cake and down the edges.
The many health benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil in the past has been criticized as it contains saturated fat. In recent years we have learned that we can label it as a super food. Infact many who live in tropical cultures, coconuts have been a nutritious diet staple for many years. They contain medium chain triglicerides which are fatty acids, and data shows are absolutely harmless.
They go straight to the liver from the digestive tract, and there they are used as energy.
In a ketogenic diet, which consists of low carb and high fat, there are studies currrently shown to treat various disorders. This leads to increased concentrations of ketone bodies in the blood.
A health condiiton that some of my sibblings have is epilepsy. This diet can acutely reduce the rate of seizures in epileptic children.The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies, which in turn can help reduce seizures in epileptic children.
As a matter of fact, it has been known to improve HDL and LDL, which may help with the risk of heart disease. It can improve the health and the appearance of the skin and the hair. Studies on those with dry skin, coconut oil can improve moisture. It has indeed helped with the protection of hair damage. Coconut oil can be applied to the skin. I use it as a skin moisturizer, also adding vitamin E to it for additional benefits.
Another application is using it like mouthwash in a process called oil pulling, which can kill negative bacteria in the mouth, improve dental health and reduce bad breath. In brain health, it has been used for immediate improvement in brain function to those with dementia and altzheimers disease.
Coconut oil can reduce appetite and increase fat burning. Coconut oil appears to be very effective in reducing abdominal fat, which lodges in the abdominal cavity and around organs. This is the most dangerous fat of all and is highly associated with many diseases.
Many are using coconut oil for various reasons, with inconceivable success.
A slice of perfection...
We are heading towards the fall season, and what a sweet way to celebrate the Autumn season with a bit of spice. Please kindly cast your vote, or rate this recipe. I would love to hear from you.
You can search the link below if you are looking for a bundt pan, or kitchen utensils.
© 2014 Susan Guinn