Vegetable Salad with Slices of Meat
Vegetable salads make a great dish for either lunch or dinner. They can be eaten as a side dish or as a main dish. No matter how you eat these salads they are still very nutritious and also delicious.
The more vegetables you add to a vegetable salad the more vitamins and minerals you will get. It is good to have a mix of colors in your salad so try to pick out vegetables of different colors. For example if you have red tomatoes, you might want to have orange, yellow, or green pepper. Also, the more ingredients you will add to the salad the better it will taste. Be creative and do not hold back.
There is no need to go to a fancy restaurant to create a mouthwatering salad that you will enjoy. All you need to do is head to your local supermarket and pick up some fresh vegetables and any other ingredients that you may need to create the salad.
I love preparing and eating vegetable salads. I wanted to share one recipe with you that you may enjoy. Happy cooking everyone! Bon Appetit :)
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Radish
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Scallion / Onion (or both)
- 1 Bell Pepper, small or medium
- Marinated Artichoke
- Grated Cheese
- Dried Cranberries
- Sliced chicken breast or pork chop
- Smoked Sea Salt
- Olive, Grapeseed, or Sunflower Oil
- Dried Basil or Fresh Basil
- Thoroughly wash all the vegetables - tomato, radish, bell pepper, scallion, onion (or both), avocado - and cut into slices. Then place them into a salad bowl.
- Take a prepared chicken breast or pork chop and cut into slices. Then add them to the bowl with the sliced vegetables. You can also add slices of salami or turkey breast instead if you'd like.
- If you don't have any prepared meat or cold cuts you can make it from scratch. Take a pork chop, add some salt and your preferred spices. Then mix a little bit of mayonnaise with some hot mustard and baste the pork chop with it. Fry in a skillet over medium heat until done cooking. I'd say about four minutes on each side. When done remove from the heat, cut into slices and add to the salad. You can do the same thing with a chicken breast. Just cook it for about three minutes on each side. Make sure not to overcook it or it will be too dry. You can also baste the chicken breast in teriyaki sauce instead if you prefer.
- Add a handful of dried cranberries and slices of marinated artichoke (you might want to cut the artichoke if too big). Then add a desired amount of smoked sea salt (or regular sea salt if you don't have smoked one), sprinkle with dried basil or add fresh one, add some olive oil (or oil of your choice) and mix.
- You are now ready to enjoy the salad. Consider having some rye crackers or toasted bread along with the salad.
Adding Other Ingredients
Some of the ingredients that will make a great addition to the salad are cucumbers or pickles, roasted sesame seeds, fresh dill or parsley, alfalfa sprouts, green leafs or sliced Boston lettuce, and feta cheese. You can add all or any of these ingredients to the vegetable salad. They will not ruin its taste in any way. In fact, they will enhance it. Adding spices to the salad is not bad either. But don't overdo it.
The salad recipe above makes one serving, which means it can be easily eaten by one person. But you can share it with someone else. To have more servings just add all the ingredients in bigger quantities. Enjoy!
© 2012 Lena Kovadlo