- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Quick, Easy and Delicious Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Sweet Potatoes Are A Superfood
Sweet potatoes are a wonder food - they provide nourishing vitamins which make you feel good and look good too!
- They are a great source of vitamin D and C which work together in keeping your immune system strong and the body healthy.
- They are high in vitamin B6, are cholesterol free and fat free!
- Sweet potatoes have high levels of vitamin E which is good for the skin
- The vitamins found in sweet potatoes are known to help prevent cancer
Five Reasons To Make This Soup
- It tastes incredible - creamy, light and flavourful
- It has very few calories in it
- The soup from star to finish takes 20 minutes... Honestly!
- I have yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy this soup
- It is packed with nutrients and vitamins which help keep the family healthy
Not to mention it is one of the cheapest and easiest meals to make and still leaves people feeling full!
- 5-6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1-2 tsp red or green Thai curry paste
- handful coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the tbsp oil in a large saucepan and soften the onion. Add the curry paste and stir it in for one minute. Add the grated sweet potato and the vegetable stock, then bring the whole lot to the boil and allow it to simmer for five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coriander and the coconut milk. If you have a hand-held blender now is the time to use it! Blend the soup until it has a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Enjoy! This is a lovely soup to serve with naan bread, or crusty whole grain rolls.
Let Me Know What You Think!
Sweet potato is one flavour that goes with pretty much everything so if you want to try out some really tasty toppings to bring the soup to another level I recommend adding fried onions and crispy bacon chunks to the soup. They taste wonderful!
The sky is your limit! Just try out whatever topping comes into your head and makes you think "mmmm". Sweet potato has a wonderfully versatile flavour, so don't be shy!
These Are A God-Send For Every Day Use
If You Want To Lose Weight...
Especially at this time of year, men and women alike begin to accept the fact that the delicious holiday food is going to mean adding a few centimetres or inches to our waistlines.
The delicious leftovers in the fridge coupled with our society's hate of wastefulness results in us all eating far more than we should (or normally would). This year, try making soup, broth or even stews out of your leftovers. You get a better flavour from vegetables and meat which have already been cooked and then left for 24 hours or more as all the herbs, spices and other flavours they have been cooked in all come together whilst the food is sat in the fridge.
I did this last year as I was trying to lose some baby weight and I was genuinely getting quite depressed over how much I had "let myself go". I read numerous articles on the health and nutrition benefits of eating soup. To summarise; soup is easier for your body to absorb the nutrients from as it has already been broken down and your body can burn it off much, much quicker than if the exact same portion of whole foods were eaten and needing to be chewed.
Soup is now something I aim to have at least once a week. I feel full and satisfied after eating it, there are limitless combinations of flavours to make and it is unbelievably tasty so it's a pleasure to eat it, not something I do just to burn some extra fat.