Making Simple Tasty Challah Bread
Easy Challah Recipe
1) Begin with 1 cup of warm water (from the tap is fine). Add 1 package of active dry yeast and stir to dissolve.
2) To the yeast mixture add 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp kosher salt, 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks. Stir to combine.
3) Add 2 cups of bread flour, and 2 cups of all purpose flour ( you may use justall-purpose flour if that is all you can find). Combine the flour into the wet ingredients completely. It should not be very sticky. If it is sticky add a little flour, but do not make the dough stiff. If in doubt the dough is better too soft than too stiff.
4) Knead the dough for 5 minutes
5) Place the dough in a greased bowl and roll it around so the dough is greased all over. Cover the bowl with foil, plastic wrap or a towel. Allow the dough to rise for 2 1/2 hrs.
6) After the 2 1/2 hrs punch the dough down, and place it on a lightly floured surface. Cut it into 3 equal pieces.
7) Roll each piece into a log all the same length. The length depends on how long you want your loaf to be. Line the logs together and squeeze them all together at one end. Braid them together tightly like braiding hair and squeeze the other end together.
8) Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and let rise 1 1/2- 2 hrs at room temperature or 1 hr in a warm place.
9) After the dough is risen brush it with a beaten egg that has been thinned with a little water.
10) Bake at 375° F for 30 to 40 min. Serve warm any way you like it!
For more great bread recipes check out the link below.
- The Dough Maker
A blog about baking bread.