Similar to Spain's tortilla and Italy's friltata, this large flat vegetable
omelelte can be served hot with a crisp salad or cold tucked
between slices of bread. Try adding other ingredients too, like
chilli, olives, bacon or slices of spicy sausage.
You will need:
1 large red or white onion
1 large potato
2 medium carrots
2 medium courgettes
1 red pepper
1-2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp olive oil
10 medium eggs
Freshly milled salt and pepper
Small handful of mint leaves
Small handful of parsley
4-5 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1) Preheat the oven to 220"C, Fan 205"C, Gas 7.
2) Finely chop the onion. Cut the potato, carrots and courgeltes
into small cubes. Halve the pepper, remove and
discard the seeds and stalk, and cut Into small pieces.
Finely chop the garlic cloves. Toss all the vegetables with
the olive oil and garlic until well coated (do this in a
food/freezer bag or large bowl).
3) Spread the oiled vegetables in a shallow, non-stick baking
tray or swiss roll tin, measuring about 27 x 36cm/11 x 13
inches. Put into the hot oven and cook for about 30 minutes,
stirring once or twice, until golden brown and just soft.
4) Meanwhile, beat the eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper.
Finely chop the mint and parsley and stir them into the
5) Pour the eggs over the hot vegetables, tilting the pan to
spread the mixture evenly. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the
6) Continue cooking for a further 7-10 minutes until the egg
is puffed up, set and golden brown.
7) Finally, Cut into portions and serve.