Mexican Guacamole Dip- An Authentic Recipe
There is nothing better...
Fresh guacamole is a summer favorite. Put away the store bought packets and try this easy and authentic recipe for your next mexican recipe.
Guacamole was coined the "butter of the poor" by spanish settlers. The hass avocado is perfect for guacamole. When you pick them out, make sure they are soft enough to give under firm pressure but not so ripe that they dent.
If the store only has hard avocados, you can store them in a closed paper bag at home for a couple of days and they'll be perfect.
This recipe is for a more "chunky" guacamole, but if you prefer smooth, just send the avocado and lime juice through a food processor before adding the tomato, onion, and cilantro.
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 TBS cilantro, fresh!
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- pinch salt
It's six ingredients and six steps!
- Slice the avocados and scoop out the pulp into a bowl. Keep the shells for filling later.
- Juice a lime over the avocado and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Chop and mince the onion, tomato, garlic, and cilantro.
- Add it all to the avocado and stir.
- Add more lime juice if you want a smoother texture.
- Add salt to taste and serve.
Beyond the chip...
Guacamole is versatile and shouldn't be limited to a chip! Try it on the following foods:
1. Spread guacamole on a soft tortilla when making a wrap.
2. Substitute mayonnaise for guacamole on a turkey sandwich.
3. Use guacamole as a topping for a burger.
4. Spread guacamole on top of an english muffin and poached egg.
5. Use guacamole in place of salad dressing.
6. Serve guacamole as a garnish for meat or poultry.
7. Add a dollop of guacamole on rice.