Milopitas: Mini Apple Pies
Milopitas are a traditional Greek apple pie. However, I noticed, that there is no specific way to make it. In other words, everyone seems to have their own variation. So I decided to make my version of milopitas, making it smaller and like an apple pastry/strudel/tart-like thing. The phyllo dough is very tricky to handle , but if you have patience, this is an excellent recipe that can be used for dessert or breakfast.
- 2 apples, diced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 15 sheets phyllo dough
- Place butter in a sauce pan and add apples and sugar (both types)
- Cook for roughly 10-20 minutes, till the apples are softened. Add water if the mixture is too thick, (roughly a teaspoon or two)
- Grease a baking sheet with oil. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on it. Don't worry if it crumbles or tears, it will get fixed later on.
- Brush melted butter on the phyllo sheet. Then place another sheet of phyllo on top of the previous sheet. Continue until you have five sheets of phyllo.
- Depending on the size of your phyllo and the amount of filling, cut it in horizontal quarters, and place a tablespoon of the filling at the beginning of the quarter.
- For this step, you must have copious amounts of melted butter. For those who know how to fold a flag, that description works best, and disregard the following steps. Everyone else, just read on.
- Take the left corner of the phyllo and fold it upward so that it covers the filling and forms a crude triangle. It does not have to be perfect at first, so stop touching it. Brush with butter
- Next, taking that corner, fold it down so that it forms another triangle. Again brush with butter.
- Continue these steps till you reach the end, and you have an excess tail of phyllo. Brush with butter and stick it on the triangle.
- Brush the whole triangle with butter and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top. Continue till the filling and phyllo are depleted.
- Place the finished triangles on the baking sheet and bake at 180 C for 25-30 mins, or when it is golden.
- Enjoy, either warm or cold!