- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Minestrone Soup Prepared in Slow Cooker
My mother absolutely loves minestrone soup, and being me, I set out on a mission to locate a recipe she could enjoy and still allow to cook while she is at work! During the past year my grandmother has undergone several knee surgeries because of difficulties that have arrived from a knee replacement. Because of this, much of the family has taken time to help care for her so no one person is in danger of losing a job.
During the late fall of last year, during one of my turns to help care for my grandmother, I began testing out and merging a collectiono f minestrone to create one that my mother would gladly enjoy. It was during this trial and error period I uncovered the following recipe, and the smells that float through the house while it is cooking is unbelievable!
- 43 oz. diced tomoatoes, undrained
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 4 c. tomato juice
- 3 med. carrots, sliced
- 1 med. yellow onion, diced
- 2 med. zucchini, sliced
- 2 med. celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 chicken boullion cube
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 lb. kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 c. elbow macarroni, cooked per packaging instructions
- 1 c. rotini, cooked per package instructions
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- In 5-6 qt. crock pot, add all ingredients except for the elbow maccaroni, rotini & cheese.
- Cover and cook 7-8 hours, or until beans and vegetables are tender.
- Prepare the pasta according to the packaging instructions.
- Remove lid and add the maccaroni and rotini to the crock pot. After 5 minutes.
- Serve with cheese on top. Great with bread!