- Food and Cooking
Easy and Tasty?
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: Approximately 20-25 mini burgers
Simple gluten-free burgers
We were exhausted and no one wanted to make a full meal. Desperate for a quick and easy meal idea, we did a Google search and found a recipe for Mini Cheeseburgers. The picture looked yummy and we thought the idea was brilliant. Unfortunately, the recipe was filled with ingredients that had gluten.
Luckily, using an egg for binder instead of bread crumbs and rice crackers instead of sandwich bread cut into circles, the original mini cheeseburgers recipe easily converts into a simple, yet delicious gluten-free meal.
Because they are so easy to customize, everyone in the family can have their mini burgers just they way they like. My husband can skip the tomatoes and add hot sauce while my lactose-intolerant daughter can avoid the cheese. Your family can be as creative as they want with both flavour and design for those who want to make smilie faces, owls or ladybugs with the colourful ingredients.
Money Saving Tips
- Avoid the fancy rice crackers in boxes. Instead, buy rice crackers at your local Dollar Store or Walmart in the plastic sleeves where they're only a dollar a container.
- Buy your ground beef in bulk. Some grocery stores sell ground beef in tubes in the frozen section (ie. Giant Tiger, No Frills, Sobeys, Loblaws, etc.). We've found the best value to be the four packs of lean ground beef in 1 lb tubes for $10.
- Use thin slices of brick cheese instead of shedding it or using processed slices.
Want a quick and tasty garnish?
Combine mayo and salsa in a bowl. We use a 2:1 ratio, but feel free to experiment until you find the flavour and consistency you like.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- to taste salt, pepper, garlic powder & onion powder
- Butter or vegetable oil
Also: 20-25 rice crackers
- Cheese, your choice
- Minced onion
- Combine ground beef, egg and seasonings to taste in a bowl. Mix well.
- Take approximately 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture at a time and form into a small cracker-sized patties (~ the size of a one dollar coin).
- Fry your mini burger patties until thoroughly cooked.
- Lay out crackers on a baking sheet. Top with cooked mini burger patties and garnish as desired.
- Bake at 350 °F for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve as is or with your choice of side dish.
© 2012 Rosa Marchisella