- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Mixed Berry Bran Muffin Recipe
These delicious muffins are full of fiber from bran and a variety of delicious berries! There are few things tastier than whole grains and berries!
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, for batter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flower
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup frozen or fresh berries, (at least one cup - as many as you can pack in! I recommend blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- 1/2 stick butter
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare muffin tins - I recommend using foil muffin cups but still greasing them lightly.
- In large bowl mix bran and buttermilk together - make sure to spread the bran around so that it all gets wet. Let it sit for about 8 minutes.
- While the bran is soaking begin preparing the liquid mixture in separate bowl: combine egg, applesauce, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Prepare topping: soften the 1/2 stick of butter enough to cream it with the extra 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bran bowl, mix thoroughly. Fold in the berries (slightly thawed if from frozen - they only need to thaw a few minutes). (You might want to cut up the strawberries before pouring them in if they are large)
- Pour batter into muffin tins - then sprinkle (it should be a tiny bit clumpy) the creamed brown sugar and butter on the top of the muffins.
- Cook 15-20 minutes.
(P.S. I recommend red mill wheat bran)