- Food and Cooking
Moist Pumpkin Loaf
A Moist and Spicy Sweet Loaf
There's nothing like a slice of tasty pumpkin loaf. But it has to be a loaf that has enough spices to give it flavor and that has a nice even texture and not gaping holes, and that is moist and not crumbly.
I was delighted when I tried this recipe because it met the mark on all three counts, and I promptly added it to my collection of favorite recipes.
This recipe makes two good-sized loves, so you will have one to enjoy and one to tuck into the freezer if you want to save it for serving to company.
If you follow the instructions in this article, you will never had to worry about dry loaves and your pumpkin bread will turn out near perfect.
Why not bake up these loaves, then when cool, cut some thick slices and enjoy with a hot cup of tea.
- 2-21/2 cups sugar, white
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin, canned
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups flour, white
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
Did You Know?
Reducing your oven heat helps to prevent edges of loaves from overbrowning.
Into a large bowl:
- Combine oil, sugar and eggs.
- Stir in pumpkin and mix ingredients.
- Stir into wet ingredients, the salt, leavening, and spices.
- Lastly, add the flour and walnuts and mix to combine.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans or three smaller loaf pans.
- Bake pumpkin loaves for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue baking approximately another half hour until centers are cooked. Check to make sure middle of loaves aren't raw by inserting a cake tester or a toothpick. These are dense loaves so this is an important step.
- Cool in pans before removing.
Double-pan to prevent over-browned loaf bottoms or place a cookie sheet on lower oven rack below pans.
Pumpkin Loaf Serving Suggestions
- Sliced and serve plain.
- Spread with butter.
- Serve slices with a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
- Ice top of loaves with butter icing or cream cheese icing.
Have You Tried Making Pumpkin Loaves?
© 2009 Athlyn Green