- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
The origins of this delicious sweet cinnamon bread is unsure. It often referred to by other names such as sticky bread, bubble loaf, golden crown, African coffee cake, monkey brains, or pinch me cake. Recipes for this particular bread started appearing in women's magazines in the 1950's. This bread tends to be popular in the United States, but not widely known elsewhere in the world.
This recipe is a simple and absolutely wonderful version of this savory treat. It is typically served as a breakfast cake but also makes an exquisite snack too. It is sweet enough to be served as a dessert too. Enjoy!
Making Monkey Bread
- 4 10 count tubes refrigerator biscuits
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Grease a bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each biscuit into four equal pieces. (I suggest cutting them in half and then in half again like four pizza slices.)
- Put all the biscuit pieces into a large ziploc bag or a large bowl with a tight lid.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the cinnamon and white and sugars. Pour this over the biscuits and shake to coat all of them. Shake until the sugar mixture is gone.
- Pour the sugar coated biscuit pieces into the greased pan.
- Melt the margarine, vanilla, and brown sugar over low heat. Pour this over the biscuits.
- Bake 20 - 30 minutes until done.
- Cool for about 15 minutes and take out of the pan. Enjoy!!!!