Moroccan Style Beef Stew
Rate this food
Melt in your mouth stew
This dish requires that you use a certain beef in order to get the real great taste you are looking for. Too many times in stores, people are buying their meat and not knowing what is in it. It changes the taste. that is one point that I would like to put in right away. I used to cook with meats from Costco or BJ's or Shop rite. The difference in my cooking I myself couldn't believe. I won't buy any other meat because of the taste.
My father was a respected chef. He made all kinds of food, and I mean he would be cooking from the time he woke up in the morning until dinner and even after dinner, he was already prepping for the next day!!!!
I married someone from Morocco. This man is difficult for me to cook for because I am intimidated. He is a five star chef that managed big restaurants in Manhattan. I used to cook a lot of Italian food with a lot of fatty ingredients so learning to cook the way he wanted was a constant battle with me. I wanted to use certain ingredients that he insisted we couldn't use..
So I had to figure out little by little what I could use. Because we are Muslim, we have to have everything Halal. So natural ingredients from scratch all the time, my meals are all from scratch, which I never did before . Was so easy to go to Costco and get already made big meals, put them in the oven and do something else while they were cooking. I can't do that now. I have to prep everything, cook everything and serve in a way that looks appetizing and make sure everything is comfortable.
So onto my easy recipe:
Halal Beef Stew Moroccan Style
- 2lbs BEEF, CUBED
- 1/2 cup WHITE ONIONS, FINELY CHOPPED
- 3 cloves FRESH GARLIC, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1/3 cup FRESH PARSELY, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 TBSP SALT
- 1 TBSP PEPPER, GROUND
- 1/2 TBSP GROUND GINGER
- 1/2 TBSP GROUND TUMERIC
- 1 TBSP LEMON
- 1 TBSP BUTTER
Easy Peasy even for beginner cook
- First thing wash your hands!!! ok, clean surface, Make sure everything you do is followed up by cleaning surfaces for food safety.
- First of all I used 2 pounds of fresh cut beef cubes. You brown them in a little vegetable oil, once they start browning, for about five minutes, you add finely chopped onion, finely chopped garlic. and sauté up with the meat. Now add water, just enough to cover the meat. You let that simmer for about an hour, keep checking the water, add if you need to. You want to season meat, For this dish I used salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, fresh cut parsley, I put a bullion cube in for added taste. when the meat is tender, you can add your vegetable. I never use more than two vegetables. Last nights dish I used squash and carrots . I peeled and cut the carrots and added them 20 minutes before dish was final. After ten more minutes I added cut up zucchini squash that was cubed. I let it cook until it was soft. at the very last minute you add a teaspoon of butter and two teaspoons of lemon juice. Either freshly squeezed or from the bottle. This should be served with warm Italian bread to dip.