Learn How to Make a Delicious Hungarian Alcoholic Torte
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
Ready in: 2 hours
- 5 Large egg yolks
- 2.5 Tbsp Plain flour
- 3 Large egg whites beaten
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 55g Sugar
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1lb Unsalted butter
- 5 Large egg whites
- 2oz Melted chocolate mixed with 1/4 Tsp veg oil
- 4oz Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Dark rum (optional)
- 10g Diced almonds
- You will either need 4 x 9" inch cake tins greased and lined or you can bake the sponge in 1 tin, but if you bake the sponge as 1 cake you will need to split in into 4 for each layer of the layer cake.
- Whisk the 5 large egg yolks with the 55g of sugar until you have a fluffy yellow mousse, then gently fold in the 3 large egg whites 10g of diced almonds 2.5 Tbsp plain flour, rum and vanilla. You will end up with a nutty vanilla batter with air bubbles throughout providing you took care when folding in the flour.
- You now want to either divide the cake batter mix into the 4 cake tins and bake for 15 minutes or the 1 tin and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave the tins to cool down.
- While the cake is cooling down, you are going to mix up the chocolate butter. Place the 2oz of chocolate in a pan and melt on a low heat on the hob with the 1lb butter in and allow to cool.
- Put 1 cup of sugar and 5 large egg whites into a pan on a medium heat, and whisk until it is 120c on a cooking thermometer and whisk it with an electric whisk until it thickens up (approx 6 minutes). Pour it into the chocolate butter with the egg whites and fold it with a fork.
- Assemble the cake with each portion facing upwards, ending with a chocolate top. Cover the sides with the chocolate, cover evenly with the 4oz of almonds and then refrigerate in a cake tub, or container of your choice for at least 1 and 1/2 hours.