A Delicous Multigrain Bread Recipe.
Prep time: 4 hours
Cook time: 35 min
Ready in: 4 hours 35 min
Yields: 2 loaves
Mise en Place
- 1 1/4 cups 8 grain hot cereal, I find mine at bulk dry good stores
- 2 1/2 cups water, boiling
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine cereal mix and boiling water. Let stand, stirring occationally, for an hour.
- Add honey, butter, and yeast. Mix until combined. Add flour gradually until it starts to form a ball. It will be fairly sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Add salt. Knead the dough for a few minutes. You will need to add some flour to prevent sticking, but try not to add too much to make a hard dough. You want a fairly sticky dough.
- Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl, covered, until doubled in size. This usually takes me about 45 minutes. Grease two loaf pans, and divide the dough in half. I use two forks to gently 'tear apart' the two halves.
- Shape each half into a loaf shape and place in baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 40 minutes). Make sure to preheat the oven, with the rack on the middle shelf, to 375F.about 20 minutes before you bread will be ready to bake.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The crust will be a dark golden brown. It will soften a bit as it cools so don't worry that you've overdone it. Let pans cool 5 minutes before transfering the bread onto a cooling rack. Let cool a good two hours before trying to slice