- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Mustard Potato Salad Recipe - Southern Style
Mustard Potato Salad
When I first married, I was really afraid to try to make potato salad. It sounded so complicated, with all different variations and ingredients. I didn’t know where to start. After a little trial and error I have come up with what my husband says is the best mustard potato salad ever made and it’s really easy to make. I prefer to make it with red potatoes but russet potatoes work well also.
I put a little twist on my recipe by adding Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing instead of mayo or Miracle Whip. My husband had asked me to leave it out as he didn't like mayo, so I used the ranch dressing instead and he never knew the difference. He thought it was delicious! I think it just adds a wonderful flavor to the potato salad. I also prefer to use dill pickles and pickle juice rather than sweet pickles for my mustard potato salad.
Potato salad has been a staple throughout various countries of the world for years. Every country as well as every restaurant or family has their own version of their favorite potato salad. Potato salad is actually considered a side dish rather than a salad as it usually accompanies the main dish. But I could sit down and make a meal out of good potato salad!
|Serving size: 2/3 cup|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Sugar 13 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 4 large or 6 medium red potatoes
- 2-3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1/4 cup Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Leave the skin on the potatoes, the skin is where many of your nutrients are, and wash very well. Cube potatoes and boil in salted water until fork goes through potatoes easily, approxitmately 15-20 minutes.
- While your potatoes are boiling, boil your eggs until done, approximately 12-15 minutes. Peel and chop your eggs when done and set aside.
- Chop your onion, celery, and pickles and set aside. Slice the olives, I like to leave the olives in slices instead of chopping them, your choice.
- Once your potatoes are done, drain them and add the salt, garlic salt, pickle juice, mustard and Ranch dressing, mix well. Now it is your choice here, if you like your potato salad a little chunky or whipped. I prefer mine a little chunky.
- Fold in the chopped vegetables, olives slices and chopped eggs. Chill about 2 hours before serving.
Potato salad is a favorite dish at bar-b-ques, picnics and other outdoor eating events. It is a great dish to serve with hamburgers, hot dogs, fried chicken and almost anything cooked on the grill. It is a favorite for people that are cooking large quantities of food as it is easy to make in large quantities. Doubling this recipe will make enough mustard potato salad for a crowd.
You May Also Enjoy:
- How to Make Great Dill Pickles
Remember going to the movies and getting that huge dill pickle to eat along with a soda? Do you still have pickles on your hamburger or alongside your ham sandwich? Wouldn't it be great to be able to make your own pickles?
- Pickled Okra Recipe - Hot or Not
Pickled okra is one of my family’s favorite snacks! Adding a little jalapeno to this recipe gives it some extra flavor. It’s not hot, just has a little snap. Not only is it tasty, but it is very good for you too. Okra is high in both types of fibers
- Picante Sauce Recipe - Southwest Style Salsa
Picante sauce or salsa has always been a favorite dipping snack for my family. It is a very healthy snack and is an exellent way to use the fresh vegetables from our vegetable garden. My picante sauce recipe is not overly hot and just has an over all
- Easy Blueberry Banana Ice Box Pie
Putting blueberries and bananas together may sound a little strange, but this has the best flavor! Blueberries are known to be very high in anti-oxidants and therefore very good for you. This is a very easy recipe and when I make it for family gather