Mustard Potato Salad Recipe with Egg, Horseradish and Dill
A Classic Summertime Side Dish
Used to be I'd buy tubs of mustard potato salad from the store, while my lonely potatoes sat neglected in the corner, unnoticed, unused, unloved. I always heard making potato salad on your own was a huge pain in the a**, but lately I've been finding out a lot of pain-in-the-bumper dishes are really more time-consuming than a big bother. That's nothing a little proper planning can't handle.
I gathered a few different recipes based on my favorite seasonings, read a self-help guide on how to better treat a potato, and whipped up my own big 'ol tub of mustard potato salad. The result is a hearty and satisfying mustard potato salad with egg that is well-seasoned throughout, creamy and zippy yet fresh tasting, and not too heavy on any one thing. It's pretty close to the taste of storebought mustard potato salad, minus all the preservatives. Give yourself just one afternoon to prepare, and you'll have a delicious and attractive sidedish for you, your family, and friends ready to eat at a moment's notice.
- 8 medium potatoes, yellow or yukon gold recommended
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups salad dressing, like Miracle Whip
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- Peel and half potatoes. Put into a large pot and add enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to boil, and cook at low boil 10-15 minutes until potatoes slide off fork. Drain and let sit until cool enough to be handled.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, combine celery, eggs, green onion, salt, pepper, dill weed, and horseradish. This is your "seasoning mix".
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and add to the mixing bowl. Pour vinegar over potatoes and fold potatoes into the "seasoning mix". Refrigerate bowl of seasoned potatoes for 1-3 hours - longer is better.
- In a separate container mix salad dressing and mustard. Just before serving, add red pepper to the mustard mix and fold into bowl of cold, seasoned potatoes. Refrigerate any leftovers.