- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Stew Recipes
My Mum's Parker's Beef Stew Recipe
Parker Beef Stew
Whenever me and Jon go home to my parents, my mum likes to treat us to really good home cooked meals. Recently he made us a great Beef Stew. We aren't usually big beef eaters in general, but I love beef in a stew, it is just so tasty. Plus if it is cooked well, it should fall apart nicely. I'm not sure which recipe book mum got the recipe from but it was a Parker's Beef Stew and it was yummy. So I thought I would share the recipe she used.
NOTE: Just to warn you this dish needs to be left over night or for at least 4 hours to chill before cooking!
Rate this recipe
- 2.5lbs Steak, cut into chunks
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1tsp/3 cloved lazy garlic/garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 5oz Bacon, fat removed and chopped
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Onions, Chopped
- Olive Oil
- 1.5lbs Carrots, chopped
- 1.5lbs Potatoes, Chopped
- 14.5oz Beef Stock
- 1 small jar or 1 tin Sun-dried tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp Worcestershire Suace
- 10 oz Frozen Peas
- Place beef, garlic. bay leaves and red wine in a covered bowl. Chill overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.
- After that brown bacon in olive oil in frying pan. When browned place in a large casserole.
- Place the flour in a bowl (you can add a little salt and pepper if you like). Take steak out of bowl and cover in flour mix until well coated. Discard bay leaves.
- In frying pan add a little more oil and fry the steak in batches until golden (but not completely cooked) then add to casserole.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 (or equivalent). Fry onions, carrots and potatoes in oil for around 10 minutes on a medium heat stirring well, place in casserole.
- Add the wine mixture (from bowl), beef stock, tomatoes and rosemary to frying pan (scraping any segments from the bottom into the juice, to add to the taste) Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-4mins.
- Pour over the casserole and mix. Cook in oven for 2 hours, stir once or twice during cooking
- When cooked mix 2 ladles of juice from casserole with 2tbsp of flour then mix back in to stew. Add peas and cook for a further 5mins. Add s&p to taste and serve.