- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Nat's Raw Papaya Salad Recipe & its health benefits
Health Benefits of Papaya
Both ripe and raw papaya have numerous health benefits. Even the seeds can be used as medicine to expel parasites and worms.
So they don't just taste good, they are beneficial for our bodies and our health as well which is a definite plus in my books. I personally prefer the papaya in its raw form, besides it is more full of phytonutrients this way and it is much fresher in its raw form too.
Papaya, in its raw form, has a great range of amazing health benefits mainly attributed to its content of enzymes, vitamins, and phytonutrients. It is indeed one of Mother Nature's bounties and gift to us all!
Raw papaya is also a rich source of potassium, magnesium, vitamins A,B,C and E which is an added bonus.
Here's a few ways Raw Papaya can help us all stay healthy:
- Improves Indigestion :Due to its presence of papain and other enzymes which are beneficial for healthy digestion. It also contains chymopapain. This great mixture of useful ingredients packed within the raw papaya packs a punch to help get rid of toxins from our bodies. Due to its content of protease, this also helps in better digestion & assimilation of protein meals
- Helps with Constipation: Due to its high fibre content, raw papayas are very effective relievers of constipation. Moreover, the enzymes and especially the latex within raw papaya are awesome in helping clean our guts/stomach by improving peristalsis and thus help move waste along the colon and into the bowels for evacuation
- Prevent deficiency of Vitamins
- Speed up wound healing: Due to its high protease enzyme content, this has excellent desloughing properties for the wound to help heal faster. In addition, because of its high vitamin content, raw papaya also helps with certain skin conditions such as acne and soothes inflammation
- Potential Pain Reliever and Anti-inflammatory: Papain within raw papaya is an effective anti-inflammatory agent and is thus useful in inflammatory conditions and pain
- Help beat Diabetes: Raw papaya juice helps reduce blood glucose levels through helping in regenerating beta cells in the pancreas and increase synthesis of insulin
- Help with Weight Loss: Two of the most potent enzymes within raw papaya are papain and chymopapain, both of which helps with the breakdown of proteins, fats and carbohydrates from the food we consume. Papain has also been rpoven to be more effective in breaking down fats compared to pepsin which is produced within our stomachs for the same purpose
- Help increase lactation: A useful tip for breastfeeding Mothers which has already been widely used in Ayurvedic medicine
- Ease Menstrual pain: Raw papaya is well known to induce abortion though yet to be scientifically proven. Eating raw papays though has been shown in studies to increase levels of oxytocin and prostaglandins in a woman's body which induces contractions in the uterus and can help ease menstrual related pain
Nat's Raw Papaya Salad Recipe
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 1 Green Raw Papaya (Peeled, Seeded and Sliced thinly or Grated finely)
- 1 Purple Onion/Shallot (sliced finely)
- 1 bunch of Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped finely)
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- 1 stalk of Fresh Lemon Grass (the thick juice part presoaked in a little warm water to soften before slicing finely)
Prepare all the above ingredients and mix in the lemon juice in a large salad bowl. The lemon juice helps keep the salad ingredients fresh and protects it from oxidation. Set this aside in a fridge
Purple Salad Onion
Ingredients for the Sauce
- Juice of Half a lemon
- 6 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Chilli Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Organic Coconut Sugar
Mix all these ingredients well and adjust according to taste preferences. Put aside in a sauce bowl.
Only mix the sauce with the salad ingredients when you are ready to eat this amazing delicious and nutrient packed dish which can be enjoyed on its own or as a side dish.
We all know the benefits of eating a raw food and alkalizing diet. One of the many benefits of adopting this diet and lifestyle include feeling more energized and helps ward off many chronic diseases including diabetes, heart disease, autoimmune disorders and cancer.
I hope you enjoyed my article and please feel free to share it with your friends and family! Please feel free to follow me at my blog at http://purplefalcon.hubpages.com and my youtube channel Health&BeautySolutions at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH1lxeJa1ky4XU3BugHJWcg