- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Nutty Carrot Cake - Slow Cooker recipe
Nutty Carrot Cake - Slow Cooker
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 4 hours
Ready in: 4 hours 15 min
- 6 1/3oz self-raising flour
- 3 1/2oz butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 5 1/4oz brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 3/4oz almonds, ground
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 1/3oz pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 6 1/3oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4oz butter, for frosting
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8oz powdered/icing sugar, sifted
- Grease and line a 9" (18cm) deep cake tin with greaseproof paper and dust the base with a bit of flour. Place an upturned saucer in the slow cookers baking dish and pour in 1" (2.5cm) cold water. Turn the slow cooker to high.
- Sift the flour, spices and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Add the butter, and rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla essence and pour in to the well. Mix together and then stir in the chopped carrots, ground almonds and chopped nuts. Spoon in to the prepared tin and level it evenly on top.
- Place the tin on the saucer and pour in boiling water until it is halfway up the side of the tin. Cover with a piece of lightly oiled tin foil and cook for 4 to 6 hours, until firm and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the slow cooker and leave it to cool before taking it out of the tin.
- To prepare the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla essence until smooth. Then, beat in the icing sugar until the frosting is smooth. Add a bit of milk if needed. Spread the frosting over your cake and put in the fridge for about an hour to set the frosting. Serve.