Class : Cephalopoda
Species: Octopus vulgaris
- 2 lbs. Octopus, pressure cooked
- 4 large Papayas, peel and slice
- 2 ripe Passion Fruit, cut open
- 12 oz. Shrimps, cooked
- 12 oz. Coconut Milk, canned
- 1 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp. Red pepper
- 1/4 cup Oil (veggi, olive, corn)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Soak octopus in water with salt and vinegar for 30 minutes
- Add octopus, papaya, passion fruit, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and red pepper in to the Pressure Cooker for 15 minutes.
- Pick fresh papayas from garden, peel the skin off, cut the papaya in half and take out seeds. Then add papayas into pressure pot.
- Cut open 2 passion fruits, add seeds and juices from the fruit into the pressure pot.
- After 15 minutes of pressure cooked, take out octopus onto to a slice board and let stand till cool, then cut to desired slices.
- Use a 9x9 frying pan, add 1/4 of oil at medium heat, add octopus and shrimps. Let it sauté for 15 minutes.
- Then to complete the sauté in the oven. Use 9x9 baking pan, add octopuses, shrimps, papayas and coconut milk into baking pan. foil top of pan and bake 360 degrees for 15 minutes.
Octopus are related to squid, cuttlefish and nautiluses.
Where can yo find Octopus?
The octopus can be found worldwide, mostly in warm waters.
How big can a Octopus get?
Length are up to 10ft. and weight are up to 55lbs. The female mature in about 2lbs. and males about 3 1/2lbs.
Female dies after breeding at about 2 years and males live longer
The octopus skin are light sensitive, it changes color to blend in their surroundings. It rapidly changes in camouflages as a protector mechanism against their enemies or a way to hunt.
What does octopus use they arms for?
Octopuses uses their eight arms for
- house building
- gripping their prey
What does the arm suckers do?
The nerve ending on the suckers transmit information about the surroundings.
The octopus's predators
- Conger eels
The octopus ink sac
The octopus ink sac helps avoid attack. The black cloud disorients their attackers and their sense of smell.
What is the octopus escape plan against their predators?
Their defense plan at times will escape from its predators by shooting a jet of water through its body to create a burst of speed.
What are the octopus favor foods?
Smart facts about octopuses
- Did you know that the first writing ink was made from pigment found in the octopus ink sac.
- Octopuses are very much intelligent, they can distinguish between shapes and recognizes objects by touch.
- This ocean creature lives in a lair with piles of discarded shells and rocks outside their entrance hide out.
- If an octopus damages one of its tentacle, it grows back a new tentacle in about couple or a few months.
- There are three hearts in an octopus, two pumps blood through each of the gills and the third pumps blood through the body.
- Their favorite foods are crabs, crayfish and mollusks.
- Octopus sizes ranges up to 10 feet in length and 55 lbs. in weight.
- Lifespan in females lives about 2 years after breading and males live 1 year longer.
- The octopuses can lay up to about 150,000 eggs and hatches in about 4-6 weeks at a time.
- They live in shallow water in a protected area in a hole or rock crevice with piles of rocks and shells.
- Octopus are known to be bottom-dwellers and like solitary areas.
Facts about the octopus eyes
Add Passion Fruit
The octopus eyes changes position to focus. The eyes are lidded to adapted to focus in the water. While the octopus moves, theirs eyes remains horizontal. Image formation is by the lens, they do not entirely have focusing functions, they focus on near by objects, which allow their photo receptor are very long of which their adaptation are for deep sea and low light level conditions. More visual pigment are greater absorption of light by each receptor cell.
How do octopus mate?
They mate during the winter season. The male sex has a hectocotylus that inserts spermatophores that goes directly to the female mantle cavity. The female broods about 150,000 eggs for six weeks. The eggs are attached into two cluster to the rear of the female octopus. The female do not hunt or eat during the hatching process. Their eggs are about 0.3 centimeters wide and 1/4 inches long.
Fishing tips to help catch octopuses
Octopuses can be captured with a trap method, instead of bait and hook, which you can nut it is better to build a cod fish trap cage using harden mesh wires, prepare a trap door and escape door in the trap cage. Add octopus favorite foods and lure them in the trap cage. Octopuses are usually located in warm waters during low tide.
How to clean a freshly captured octopus?
First you cut open the top of the head, usinga sharp knife, carefully cutting an incision down between the eyes, following to its beak of the octopus. Take out the internal parts and beak. Use vinegar and salt to wash out tin inner layer of the octopus body. You can clean octopus with corn meal to help with the slime, rub the corn meal all over the octopus, then rinsed with water and cut for none slippery incision.
Are Octopuses are capable of learning?
Due to scientifically experiments. The octopus are trained to distinguish between shapes and recognized objects by touch. But was unable to integrate prospective abilities through receptors, but not yet been identified. They can not learn any discrimination that depends on the information sensory in position of the arms or the suckers.
Inside an Octopus
Put cooked shrimps aside
Cut octopus to desired slices
Their ventilation has a protected chamber lined with feathery gills that contains small blood vessels called the capillaries. Its effective of 60 to 80 percent of the oxygen that passes through the chamber.
What does an octopus taste like?
Yummy..... This delicacy is delicious. It has a tender, soft bite. Flavored with seasoned salt. If the octopus is not cooked properly, it will have a rubbery, tough chew and hard to swallow. But once it is pressure cooked and soften. It gives out a delicious flavor. It have a deep sea flavor, different than any other creature of the sea. To give you a more realistic example of its flavor, it taste can past for a conch or Wilkes. the texture requires pressure cooking to get the soft sweet taste of the ocean deepness.
Was it hard to prepare?
Once you get a hold of the octopus. it will feel very shimmy, slippery or even a jelly feel. Corn meal is a good way to get that feeling off the octopus. soak in vinegar or lime also get the feeling off. The octopus is easy to handle once the slim is off. Add to the pressure pot, cool and rub off the black layer of the skin off the octopus. wash and rinse the octopus. slice and cook to your liken. You can do so much more dish to a great meal in your tummy.
The Kraken Legendary Sea Monster
The Kraken is a legendary sea monster. Many people over the years have told the story. Over a decade it was known as a giant squid/ octopus. It was know has a very large monster. It devour any ship that ever cross its path, pulls his pray down below deep seas. When the monster appears there is a whirlpool waiting to swallow you down. The monster dwell off the coasts of Norway and Greenland. Its length was about 40–50 feet. The story was told that a Princess sail the ocean along the path where the monster waited. Her and her crew planned a way to kill the monster. They made a giant net and layer it over the monster once it came up to capture them, but fail. The princess plan was successful and killed the monster.
Add to frying pan
Know the octopuses defenses before trying to catch one
Beware of certain types of poisonous octopuses
All octopuses are venomous; proper cleaning are required, but only the Blue-Ringed Octopus (genus: Hapalochlaena lunulata) are deadly to humans. The iridescent of blue rings appears on the skin of the octopus, pulsating with the maculae are very dangerous. Do Not Eat. If swimming in the water and spot an octopus, get out fast, danger. These sea creatures are deadly in their surroundings.
Octopus defenses against predators are camouflage, ink expulsion and inflammation displays on the skin. There are eight tentacles known as suction cups, which have chemical sensors that recognizes their surroundings.
Octopuses are flexible and speed along the ocean floors and various areas. Most of its time octopuses are hidden in its lair. When it hunts for their prey, they will propel horizontal by swimming or crawling with its tentacles.
They moves in a furtive way, using changes of its skin colors (camouflage) to blend in, so when their prey passes by, grip and pull using its eight tentacles to seize their food with its suction cups.
The only hard part of the octopus body is their beaklike shape mouth and sharp teeth that are used to grip and drill into hard shelled sea creatures. The beak is how they get to eat and swallow their prey.
Using their defense poison ink, they will spray the black poison into the water to hide behind the dark substance that blinds and tranquilizes their prey.
How much arms does an octopus have?
view quiz statistics