- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Old Fashioned Beef Stew
This comforting beef stew recipe comes from an old friend of mine who gave it to me years ago. I have modified it slightly to better suite my family's likes and it is now one of our favorite "cold weather" foods.
Not many dishes come any easier to make as you simply throw all the ingredients into a pan, bake and forget about it until dinner time.
I serve it with my Bread Machine Yeast Rolls for a complete meal.
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat, to save money, try it with hamburger
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, diced or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1 can tomato sauce, 15 oz.
- 2 cups beef broth, red wine, or water, or combo of all three
- 3 teaspoons dry tapioca
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Combine all ingredients except peas into a small roasting pan and cover with a lid. Cook at 350 degrees for 3 hours. Stir in peas the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Tip** You can also make this recipe in a slow cooker using the same directions, but increase the cooking time to 4 to 5 hours with the setting on low.
Enjoy... AND HAPPY EATING!!!
© 2012 Laura Rash